D'animal 1974 FJ40 - stock (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My friends know I'm available to help them at anytime.

I think it's the "go away" door mat that helps the most... at least it does for me - of course, I couple that door mat with a bad attitude and a low tolerance level for those I deem fools... so that helps too :)

My friends and neighbors know it is ok to stop by and BS only when the shed door facing the road is open.

I have neighboring ranchers stopping by all of the time. They broke down in the hills or got stuck or want advise on fixing a fence.

If they are here longer than 20 minutes, my wife puts them to work. She will start by having them muck the horse stalls and then migrated to getting hay down. If they are still around after that, she has them work on the hot wire fence.

My friends know I'm available to help them at anytime.

My friends and neighbors know it is ok to stop by and BS only when the shed door facing the road is open.

I have neighboring ranchers stopping by all of the time. They broke down in the hills or got stuck or want advise on fixing a fence.

If they are here longer than 20 minutes, my wife puts them to work. She will start by having them muck the horse stalls and then migrated to getting hay down. If they are still around after that, she has them work on the hot wire fence.

I don't mind helping people, the ones that get me are the ones that start every sentence with "why don't you just..."
I do SAR, I do church, but I don't ever just... this am was teaching people how to use their 4x4s in the snow... and never used the word "why don't you just..." ..I have more fun with the newbies than I do with the ones who know it all...

but, enough of that, nice work on getting to the valve cover.

I think he means how hard it is to get all the old FIPG out of the crevice of the valve cover. If you don't, it leaks. Had to pressure blast mine with a pin-point nozzle.

Nice to see another '74 coming back.

Assembled and fluids added.
Cranked it with no ignition connected to get oil pressure built. I will triple check everything, add some fresh fuel and fire it up in the morning.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1417317355.133846.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1417317377.450841.jpg

I am no master mechanic by any imagination. The shop who had been working on this rig since 1998 for the previous owner is in Reedley, CA. I hope they fix other vehicles better than this.

Here is what I found so far on this rig.

The wheels were simply wrong. They locked up against the steering. All the lug nuts were loose. You can't put deep dish rims on the drivers side front.

Mark was right, the distributor worked itself up and out of the oil pump. In reality, the distributor was not installed correctly when they put the new Petronics ignition in it.

The transmission mounting pad bolts that go through the rubber pieces were not installed correctly. The driverside had a 3/8" bolt installed from the top. No top mount at all, just a bolt sitting in the hole. The passenger side had a destroyed lower mount but the bolt was in it. sitting in the holding the rear

The driverside engine mount was torn completely.

Although most of the emissions items were installed, it was not hooked up.

Every gasket was hard and brittle. Normal for a 40 year old rig. Every gasket leaked. I'm going to assume the money spent on super sticky STP oil treatment could have been better spent on replacing gaskets.

The Pilot bearing rusted up, locked up and grenaded itself. It had to make some serious noise.

The clutch slave had the broken spring connected to the frame, not the throw out arm. Something was lodged between the flywheel and the friction plate. It looked like a cotter pin. There was too much material for it to be one of the throw out arm clips. Both clips that secure the throw out arm to the throw out bearing were missing.

The original engine has had problems before. Two of the rod bearing journals were already turned down .25mm.

The air filter grommet was under the filter cover, not on top of the cover under the wing nut.

The rubber sleeve that goes between the carburetor and the top portion of the filter housing was missing.

The transfer case linkage was about to fall off. It was missing a few washers and cotter pins. It was in 2wd with no way to put it in 4wd with the lever.

The radiator support had a broken weld at the crossbar in front. The only support was the radiator itself.

The radiator fan was replaced at one time with a fancy 7 blade flex fan. The fan shroud was butchered at some time. The bottom of the passenger side was removed, with a hatchet? The fan shroud also was cracked from the bottom bolt holes on the driverside to the middle mounting bolts.

The front fenders were loose. As in the 4 bolts the hold them to the frame were finger tight at best. The bolt the hold them to the body and running boards were missing.

The bottom bib bolts were missing, as well as the pad it sits on. There were one bolt on each side of the lower bib/fender. There was one bolt on each side of the upper bib/apron.

Last edited:
what's the black thing on the steering column in front of the temp gauge :confused:

So do you think the connecting rods got that hot, or possibly the last person to put an exhaust on it got a little carried away with a torch?View attachment 1001950

What does the metal look like on the inside? Looks like torched paint to me.

:idea: aha

Found a set of correct seats and seat brackets in one of my rigs.

Installed new SOR seat upholstery and installed everything.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420423029.861716.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420423045.594954.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420423059.746296.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420423079.817104.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420423096.733658.jpg

Missing one of the metal back plates for the drivers seat.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420423138.270703.jpg

Progress continues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom