Dang power is out again!

flintknapper

SILVER Star

Sittin' here using up the battery on the laptop.
Just a few minutes ago I was out in my shop cleaning up the air intake on a small compressor I have on my 1/2 Cab Bronco.

All of the sudden everything goes black. Well, I figure maybe the breaker tripped (I was running the A/C, all the lights, large air compressor, and a fan), or maybe I had finally gone blind.

I feel my way over to the wall and eventually get to the parts washer, so I know I'm near the door.
I go outside and the "booger light" near the dog pen is not on, so........the power is out.

I have a generator, but as soon as I go get it and get it hooked up the power will come back on. On the other hand if I don't go get it... the power won't come back on for 5 hours.

Anybody else live where power outages are common? Seems everytime the wind blows here........out it goes!

Well, might as well go get the genera..........................

flintknapper said:
Anybody else live where power outages are common? Seems everytime the wind blows here........out it goes!

Well, might as well go get the genera..........................
When I lived on the central coast of CA, the power would go out during almost every winter storm. You just sort of planned on it.

Ross

TJDIV

Back in The U.P.

Our power doesn't go "OUT" a lot, or for long times, but we get SURGES all the time, and that trips breakers and pisses off the A/C Gods who in turn tend to dig into your wallet and ruin your month.

Josie'sLandCruiser

Stop calling it a "FJ."

Hi All:

So, if your electric power is out, what is powering your internet modem?

All the cable modems I've ever seen have an external electric power supply.

Your not doing "MUD" on dial-up are you?? Must be slooooow!

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

Landpimp

GOLD Star

bout 7 years ago we had a ice storm, power was out for 7-11 days in many places. Needless to say ALOT of folks bought generators after that.......and the power has for the most part never flickered sense then.............I picked up a new/used 5500watt generator(from one of the 1000's that bought em) for $100 just to guarantee my power will never go out again

Here in Central America we get frequent power outages. The problem is it's NOT weather related or anything predictable. Usually it's the power company trying to flex it's muscle when it's looking for a rate increase. We have a diesel generator that I'm responsible for to fire up and run when the power goes down.

And not only do we have power outages we also have city water for only a few hours a day (we have several large cisterns that we fill during that time so we have water 24hrs/day from our own systems). Some days when the power company want's to make a point with the water company they shut off their power for a few hours. You always hope that's not the few hours when you get water 'cause if it is, you don't get water that day!

Used to be, up until 2 years ago, it seems, it went out here an average of 52 times a year, wind blowing or something. Computer was always rebooting. For some reason, things are more stable now, maybe more like 1x/mo. Maybe the wind is blowing elsewhere.

flintknapper

SILVER Star

Josie'sLandCruiser said:
Hi All:

So, if your electric power is out, what is powering your internet modem?

All the cable modems I've ever seen have an external electric power supply.

Your not doing "MUD" on dial-up are you?? Must be slooooow!

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

Yes, I have dial up, and yes its kinda slow. Power came back on in about 45 minutes, so not too bad this time.

Top Bottom