Dana 60 ..........who cuts 'em (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dont want to go with full width axles,"lookin into" cutting down and resplining 60 s to factory width 40 axles. I live in Colorado,anyone close that has any experience with a shop would appreciate some info.

order from poly performance , 179 per side , they will drop ship via UPS direct from superior.

Already modified for that price?

Chromo?

Not even close to what I was told...Dave is a great guy, but he is not THAT generous.... ;)

Have used Dutchman Motorsports for shorten and respline....

http://www.dutchmanms.com/4_axles.html

Looks like they can supply you with Chromo 60 stuff too...

They took care of me.

Good luck!

-Steve

Um , 179 was not chromo and was for shortened .

I just got my inners for my hybrid D60/LC axle and they are chromo with a toyota landcruiser 30 spline and set to my lengths. 440 each.
Does that help Steve ? No Dave aint cheap for the good stuff but for shortened and resplined stockers I believe it is only 179 each.

That does not seem unreasonable at all for a stock piece, cut and resplined to your dims.

Thank you for the clarification John!

:beer:

I was not being a wise ass.

I may be wrong to but someone said he is a short guy from Texas so I don't think so.

Got em yesterday , Chromo shafts with Dana 60 ends and Landcruiser center splines narrowed for a 60 " WMS and had em move the seal surface out to just behind yoke so I can use a Toyota style axle seal system. I found the lower trunion seal for the Dana 60 knuckle fits the bearing surface area of the stub shaft perfectly so when they made the axles i had them machine the seal surface to match the stub shaft so I can use a lower trunion seal in the end of tube . It is a Landcruiser rear housing modified to make a front axle with Dana 60 C's and Dedenbear knuckles , and 6 lug hubs.

Can ya tell I'm stoked:D :D :D :D :D

Word . Pics on Thurs. , Stew , send me your e-mail.
Steve , you are gonna like it.

I used a rear housing so I'll have a front removable cover. Just had to make new ring gear windows and weld up the original ones.

Using rocklogic's power assist too.

Finishing brake line mounts , shock mounts , and gusseting the inner C's so no pics till it be lookin better. This thing looks sick tho.

If you can tell me how to email straight from my razor I'll send pics tonight. I am having trouble getting my camera or my phone to download to pc right now. So if someone knows how to shout out and pics are pending.....

WHY cut them down that much? you can cut min amount mount them to crusier leafs and still tuck and fit tires under it. look around at the 65-62 wms to wms under a cruiser, alot more pocket friendly, still looks good and functional.

YOUR $$$$ i guess.

HOLY SHEEET thems some $$$$ your dropping.

179 new or used stock shaft, WHO is suppling the shaft?

I know a guy over here in Denver, he has a machine shop, and does axle`s on the side.
He charged me $120 to do one side (this was 4 years ago), and move the perch over, and respline the shaft(if it doesn`t neck down).

He has a great rep with alot of 4x4 people over here for doing this, and he does alot of drag racers rear diffs also.

I will look up his phone number today and get back with you.
The reason it is best to do one side is, the chevy, dodge dana 60 front(and ford) have the spring perch mount casted into the diff housing on one side.

So I measured from that perch`s spring pin hole, to the outside WMS on the dana 60 passenger side (it was only 1 1/2" wider than the FJ40 front diff).

I think the fj40 diff measured 15 1/2", and the dana 60 measured 17" (that is from spring pin, to the WMS).

Then you measure your FJ40 springs, from spring pin to spring pin. This will tell you how far to move over the drivers side spring perch to match the fj40 stock spring width.

Then from there you measure the drivers side spring pin to the drivers side WMS, it might be 20 3/4".

So to match the passenger side (that is 17"), you need to cut 3 3/4" - 4" inches off of the drivers side, and move the spring perch over 3 3/4"-4".

So over all you only will be 3 inches wider than the FJ40 xales.
And the rear diff is real easy.

o.k. , here's some begining shots

Half wacked , wack it all the way and it'll spit at ya.
ATT00498.jpg
ATT00507.jpg
ATT00519.jpg

last one for now

I threw those last two in just to show ya what the cool guys do at Surf n Turf.
It was campfire singalong night. And where was half wacked , sleepin fo sure.
That be orange45 and 65swb45rainbow warrior
ATT00544.jpg
ATT00565.jpg
ATT00577.jpg

Scottb said:
I know a guy over here in Denver, he has a machine shop, and does axle`s on the side.

sounds good....throw in the contact info,Thanks

burnttoastburgos said:
Scottb said:

sounds good....throw in the contact info,Thanks
High Plains Tool & Mold
3201 S. Zuni
Sheridan, CO (south denver)
303-806-0451
Tom Staub

This is my dana 60 cut down the way I was talking about. 1 1/2" wider on each side, total 3" wider.
Tires are 38.5x12.5x15, on 15x10 wheels, with 3.5" back spacing.
It is hard to tell from the photo, but it sat real nice, not to wide at all, plus alittle more stable.

Last edited:
Randy at Ouverson Engineering has the hobb cutters for Toyota splines. I bought them for some shafts that he made me. He is a very cool guy to work with.

As far as Dutchman, I had poor performance from them. They made the same shafts that Randy made for me. The difference is that they cut down stock that had already been heat treated to get down to the diameter that I needed. This left the shafts with a 0.040-0.060" casing. They snapped the first time that I wheeled them. They told me I was SOL. And this was after a 8 week delivery!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom