Damp carpet in the rear Storage Area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We had a lot of rain today and I notice some damp carpet around the back corners near the tail gate. I’ve dealt with wet carpeting and clearing sunroof drains when having wet floorboards but never in the very rear.

Any ideas?

Probably the seals around the 3rd brake light. There are a few good write ups on how to remove, clean and reapply a seal to eliminate it. It was easy if you just take your time so you don’t damage the light.

The upper/3rd brake light will quite frequently leak. Many have had to remove, clean off the gasket material and re-seal, including myself. Many threads here on this.

Also, you can check the cable housing/grommet where the wires go from the body to the upper hatch.

I recommend removing 2 trim pieces and running a hose over everything and seeing where the water is dripping from.
1. Remove the upper trim piece just inside the rear hatch area of body.
2. On the inside of the rear hatch, remove the upper trim around the rear window, this will expose the area of the upper brake light.

Oh ok, I for some reason have never heard of the 3rd brake light seal issue. Most appreciated all!

Yep 3rd brake light seal. Get ready for a fight getting the adhesive off. Would recommend a set of plastic razor blades, 3m adhesive remover and some butyl (I used morimoto retrorubber).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom