Damp Carpet 2nd row (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DoughNut

SILVER Star
Threads
I am trying to chase down a leak on a 98 LC. The 2nd row drivers and passenger carpet is damp right by the pillar support. I checked the front sunroof drains and they are clear. My understanding is the rear sunroof drains drain all the way back by the rear cargo area, gonna check them as well.

Has anyone else had this issue? It’s a 98 so I only have the rear heat option and it blows out right under the center console. Could the moisture/dampness be from this?

Super frustrated. I am going to pull the headliner/seats/carpet etc to find the issue. Just curious if anybody else has dealt with this. I’ve searched all the previous posts and it’s usually the 3rd brake light leaking or the sunroof or windshield. Which all cause damp carpet in other areas of the vehicle.

80 owner here, however, I have dampness on the PS first and second row right by the door. Only the PS, very strange.

Ever had one of those weekends where you seriously contemplate burning your LC to the ground???? It’s the best vehicle I’ve ever owned and simultaneously the worst.

Just gonna walk away for a few days and leave her in the garage. I’m sure when my Trail Tailor rear bumper arrives I’ll fall madly back in love with her again....

Are you parked on a slope when you notice the water? Is there any staining or wetness on the ceiling inside?

Have you checked the roof rack bolts to ensure they are tight and sealed? Another possibility could be the door seals (inner and outer per door).

You are correct that the rear sunroof drains go down the rear, specifically the C pillar.

@awesomeissquid I haven’t checked the roof rack bolts. I didn’t even think about that.

No staining or wetness on the headliner. It was parked outside for a few days during a snow storm.

Melting snow does create some additional issues for water drainage. As the snow melts other un-melted portions create dams that can push water into unlikely spots.

When you check the roof rack bolts I had good luck using 3M Ultrapro Autobody Sealant (8302) in the bolt holes with Permatex Flowable Sealant over the top to really make sure everything was sealed.

Melting snow does create some additional issues for water drainage. As the snow melts other un-melted portions create dams that can push water into unlikely spots.

When you check the roof rack bolts I had good luck using 3M Ultrapro Autobody Sealant (8302) in the bolt holes with Permatex Flowable Sealant over the top to really make sure everything was sealed.
You are the man. I just tried to pull off the front rack mount and the PO screwed up the torx head bolts. As soon as I started beating and messing around with the bolts I heard water dripping on the floor. The front mount lines up directly with the leak.

Thanks, I owe you a beer if your ever in Austin. I was about to gut the interior to find the leak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom