Damn Vandals! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i go out to my FJ60 this morning, and someone had stuck a flat-head in the key cylinder, and jimmy'd the lock open. they jacked up the key cylinder, and stole some random crap, but atleast my rig was still there. i live in a pretty nice community (which doesnt seem to matter these days) so i was rather surprised this happened. stupid thing is, for what they tore up/stole, i wouldve rather paid them the difference. anyway, im going to get an alarm today with starter kill/shock sensors. i know if someone really wanted it, they could still get it, but atleast i might be fore-warned if someone tried to do this again. atleast it might deter them from doing any further damage. any thoughts on this? pros or cons? thks, -other sean

I always try to keep my TLC clean .. no window tint, no tol box inside, no CD player face, no CB radio, no antena, no CD magazine, no nothing .. :eek: also have a usual alarm, but I feel clean is better, no temptations ..

Seems the alarms might run off the casual break in. However the "pros". Just work faster. If they want the whole rig again the alarm and shut off realy helps, If they want your CDs and loose stuff, they just knock out a window grab and go.

My rig is most exposed when on trips. How are you going to not "leave valuables" in your car when you are living out of it? I use a "Club" and try to keep stuff out of site, any park ranger will tell you though that the slim balls will break a window and grab anything...shift nobs, emblems, what ever.

I know I should get a "shut off" switch put in. Around here a big deal particularly at boat ramps has been to still gas from rigs. Hell a Surburban has up to a $120 in fuel floating around in it. They use elelctric tansfer pumps and do it quick. GRRRR

My condolences on having to deal with the wreckage left behind by the losers that inhabit our world. Do you park your 60 where you could actually hear the alarm if it went off? Also, I'm sure you realize if they wanted to steal the whole car just disarming the starter doesn't stop them from starting it. Like Tapage said, probably a good idea to leave the vehicle "clean", pull the faceplate off the stereo, etc. It'd be nice to have some of those exploding red-dye things that banks use hidden in some worthless bait.

Hang a grounding strap which touches the ground. Then rig up a high voltage system to shock the hell out of them.

Man.. I miss Knight Rider...what a show.. :rolleyes:

Yeah an alarm will help also put in a hidden kill switch.

yeah, i went down to Car Toys, and theyre doin the install now. my rig is generally parked RIGHT in front of the house, next to my driveway. so, i would DEF hear the alarm go off. im also putting a motion detector/flood light on the corner of the house. i believe by adding the alarm/motion detector, this should deter "most" FAUKERS! i understand if someone really wants it bad nuff, theyre gonna get her either way. but atleast now, i can get enough time to grab the pistol, and cap off few rounds as theyre runnin down street. we have the "Make My Day Law" here in Colorado. ill shoot em in the back, and drag theyre ass's back in the house. -other sean

Sean -
Don't think there's a way to keep them out always. Make sure you have the "alarm" decals on the window or a blinking LED on the dash. You really don't want to piss 'em off, though.

Nothing's safe anymore.

I feel for you.
Some people.....

But unlike you, mine went missing 2 days ago.
I come outside to an empty parking spot.

Worst part was all of my stuff in the truck because I was on a road trip.
I also had to hitch-hike 850Km (500 miles) home.

Now I have the pain of trying to replace everything. And if they do find my cruiser I have to visit another town to get it....

So just be thankful yours is still there.
I would also recommend a fuel pump cut switch. That way you can turn it off everytime. Then if someone does steal it they will not get far. Plus once they loose prime in a diesel, it is doubtful t hat they will be able to get it going again, even if they do find the switch. They would also have to know how to reprime the system. The system also would work well if you are traveling to mexico/central america and get hijacked. Just give them the truck and hit the switch on the way out. They will only get a few blocks. :)

I only wish I had taken the time to do those precautions on mine.

Cheers,
Nick

yeah, theres really only so much you can really do. my rig really never leaves my office spot, nor the side of my house, unless im in it. so if the flood lights go off on side of house, and alarm goes off too, that in itslef will weed out 50% of em. just my 2c. -sean

BTW, Car Toys sold me mine for $250. i got the starter kill switch, and an extra horn added. i want EVERYONE in neighborhood to wake up, hahah! -sean

After replacing a broken window in March in the rain, I quit locking mine. Got an MP3 cd player, and use only homemade cd's. Motion light in the driveway seems to help. I know what you're saying about road trips, that's when I worry the most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom