Damn new noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
Friday I replaced my Starter Contacts and did my Swaybar bushings ande coushins at the same time. It runs great until I get it on the higway. When I am above 55 and I let completly off the gas there is a metal grinding noise. If I give it a little gas, it goes away. Doesn't do this below 50. The sound seems to be coming from the passenger side front. Hard to tell exactly.

It makes the noise until it slows below 50 or I give it gas.

Put it in Nuetral and it had no effect

I went back through the swaybar install and couldn't find anything. I'll do it again in the morning.

I haven't re-checked my starter installation, but its working fine.

I also took off the front drive shaft and re-checked to make sure there wasn't too much grease. I Bleeded the air out by loosening the zirc and made sure it could expand and contract easier.

If you recall, my drive shaft has been rebuilt (another problem). My Front diff pinion plate moves about the width of my thumb at a mounting hole with no drive shaft. I assume that is normal.

It didn't do this before the swaybar and starter work.

One of my swaybar bushings (Driver side) was worn uneven with agroove in the outer side. The passenger side bushing was just a little worn.

The problem I changed the swaybar bushings for appears to be gone. Slight rattle.

Is there anything specific you can think of I should look for? Could my swaybar have been bent a little and when I put new bushings in its acting different?

Can I drive it without the swaybar to see if the noise is gone?

Man, I hate it when simple things cause little problems :doh:

Something may have been partially loose .. and rattled. And now it is completely loose, and has falllen into the mix. Being tossed about at speed, but sliding down below 50 to grind away. :eek:

I'd just drive around below 50, and wear the sucker down ..

:doh:

Oh man, thanks Tyler for the advice.

I think in the morning, Ill take of the swaybar. I will drive very very careful, but at high speeds to check the noise. I want to at leat isolate it to the swaybar.

Just thought I'd vent a little before calling it a night. Maybe someone else can learn from my mistakes

Besides, Robbie told me he finds my "troubles" Humorous.

Romer said:
Oh man, thanks Tyler for the advice.

Is ok Mang .. :D

Just consider Tooth Fairy and I your personal 'emergency' response team ..

I'll crack open #6's , and he can start a fire .. get lawn chairs organized etc. Just think of us as an ever drunker sympathetic resonance. We feel your pain man ..

We *hiccc* dooo . . .

TY

Romer said:
Friday I replaced my Starter Contacts and did my Swaybar bushings ande coushins at the same time. It runs great until I get it on the higway. When I am above 55 and I let completly off the gas there is a metal grinding noise. If I give it a little gas, it goes away. Doesn't do this below 50. The sound seems to be coming from the passenger side front. Hard to tell exactly.

It makes the noise until it slows below 50 or I give it gas.

Put it in Nuetral and it had no effect

I went back through the swaybar install and couldn't find anything. I'll do it again in the morning.

I haven't re-checked my starter installation, but its working fine.

I also took off the front drive shaft and re-checked to make sure there wasn't too much grease. I Bleeded the air out by loosening the zirc and made sure it could expand and contract easier.

If you recall, my drive shaft has been rebuilt (another problem). My Front diff pinion plate moves about the width of my thumb at a mounting hole with no drive shaft. I assume that is normal.

It didn't do this before the swaybar and starter work.

One of my swaybar bushings (Driver side) was worn uneven with agroove in the outer side. The passenger side bushing was just a little worn.

The problem I changed the swaybar bushings for appears to be gone. Slight rattle.

Is there anything specific you can think of I should look for? Could my swaybar have been bent a little and when I put new bushings in its acting different?

Can I drive it without the swaybar to see if the noise is gone?

Man, I hate it when simple things cause little problems :doh:

Ken--

Looks like one thing after another for you... :frown:

You can drive without both sway bars. I am currently not running my rear sway bar. You'll just get a bit more sway when turning. And a bit less responsive rear end... :rolleyes:

At this point you might was well take off all suspension pieces, driveshafts, etc. and try to drive.... :flipoff2:

Good luck.
-onur
Akron, OH

beno said:
At this point you might was well take off all suspension pieces, driveshafts, etc. and try to drive.... :flipoff2:

Just remove the drivers seat..place it on the asphalt in the driveway and sit there, and see if it gets any better .. naww, better not. The seat will probably spring forward unexpectedly and pin you in it! :eek:

You remind me of my Dad a little though, growing up. We'd be drivin along enjoying the afternoon, and suddenly Dad would BELLOW at us to BE QUIET!! "I hear something!!" So we'd all sit in silence, waiting out his intense auditory assessment, as we nursed out tachyarrhythmias back down into the double digits :eek: :crybaby:

"Oh my gawwwwwwwd !! A pebble .. in my tread .. everyone ouutada car NOW!"

:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Ty - a noise is one thing, a grinding metal sound need attention

I would guess for the drive shaft not being greased enough, but you already checked that...

What about the knuckle?

When I first got my truck, it made a grinding noise at the lower speeds on gas or break but not in neutral or at hight speeds. Koffer took a look at it and helped grease up the zirks and outter knuckle. After that the grinding noise went away!! :D

I hope these trucks don't have a new grinding problem area :rolleyes:

I plan on upgrading the shocks/springs/sways soon so if it turns out to be an issue there plz let us (me) know...

ummm 20 years in service and the old BJ makes no grinding noises, she is feeling like an old truck but not for long!!!

Sway bar Installation for Dummies

OK, The grinding metal noise has been solved. The little bracket that is used for routing the electrical wire is close to the axle mounting bracket. There was bare metal obviously from vibration contact. This was touching and loose. Also, Since I can't get a torque wrench in there, the bolt for the passenger side swaybar could have been tightned more. I got two wrenchs and tightned it as hard as I could.

Now back to the usual drive train noise at higher speed.

This was the first time I had done this, so thanks for sharing my continual growing pains.

All kidding aside .. :rolleyes: :whoops:

I appreciate these threads of your Romer, because you're asking things that some of us are bound to run up against also.

:beer:

TY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom