Damn Leaky fricking toyota's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The new 80 I bought has a huge leak somewhere. My passenger front side carpet is soaked!! any experience as to where this is coming from? Door seals? front windshield? I live in Washington so this is only going to get worse. need to nip this in the bud quickly.:bang:

That above or recent windshield replacement.

can someone ask tomatopants to rehost the images for the sun-roof drain fix - I can't pm him as i'm too much of a newbie and it isn't working.

Get some weed wacker string and some window cleaner and a bottle of water. Spray the cleaner down the drain holes near the tracks for the sunroof, then pour a little water into the collecting trough and check to see if it comes out the drains at the bottom under the rocker panels. Clean that opening also. Then very gently feed the string down the holes if nothing drains but don't force it, you don't want to rip the plastic drain tube.

Last edited:
Lets try and keep it tech guys.

But search is always the place to start!

well I snaked out the sunroof drains and water is draining out the slit drains. while pulling the carpet back I found pine needles and manner of detrius. However I think the windshield is leaking too. Both bottom corners of the windshield are wet . The driver side ended up having actual standing water in the wire channels.

Anyone have problems with their windshield seal? It actually looks like there might be rust starting at the leading edge of the top of the windshied seal. Man, WTF? This is BS. Ive had softop Jeeps that didnt leak like this. Toyota gets a big fat FAIL on this one. might be a replacement windshield as I dont see "toyota" anywhere on it.

Lot of threads on this; the aftermarket windshield installers often do not use the required adhesive/sealant. The original windshields don't leak IME.

many places will replace the windshield without putting adhesive in the gasket. They will tell you it doesn't need it, they are wrong

I just had mine resealed yesterday by another franchise from the same one that put the glass in with no sealant anywhere. He did it for free just to be nice! I am looking forward to dry carpets!

Thanks for the info guys. It appears thats exactly what happened. No sealant at all. Unfortunately for me it appear as if the negligence on the window guys part has lead to rust on the upper window edge. So what should have been a simple visit to the glass guy is now a potential body shop visit. Dont even know where to start on this one.

The FSM describes the primer that must be applied to the weatherstrip "Sunstar 9002T or equivalent" and also the adhesive "Sikaflex 256 HV or equivalent" that should be used. Section BO-34. Maybe take it to a dealer to document the lack of proper installation?? The dealer should know/use an installer that does it correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom