Damaged glow plug threads (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone ever experienced reciever threads in the cylinder head that were damaged enough to let the glow plugs shoot out while driving? How did you repair it? Remove head and Machine a threaded inscert? Ideas? This isn't my problem but one I'm helping with.

What kind of engine? Removing the head and fitting an insert would be the best way.

Has anyone ever experienced reciever threads in the cylinder head that were damaged enough to let the glow plugs shoot out while driving? How did you repair it? Remove head and Machine a threaded inscert? Ideas? This isn't my problem but one I'm helping with.

Sure those aren't spark plugs in a Triton 5.4? :lol:

It's a 3B. I think replace the head with a good used one is probably the most straight forward but an inscert would work too but then yould have to buy the inscert kit and do it properly which it doesn't sound like something that's commonly done. Well not on cylinder heads anyhow. Not counting time I doubt yould be that far ahead money wise with the inscert.

I thought machinists kept insert tools on hand for jobs like this. Obviously they have to be done properly but why cant it be done properly by a machinist?

It wouldnt be much $50-$100 maybe if you remove the head yourself. You are going to need a gasket.
I have had a local machinist do jobs like this for me over the years. So long as you dont want it done today and a prepared to wait a few days, its cheap.
Might be a good time to check the head over for cracks and flatness etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom