DAM TOYOTA...the gray 93... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RAYJON

Get a bigger hammer..
Threads
You would think they would make them better, After the factory PHH expairment finally started leaking at 230K, then at 245k the factory radiator had a crack in the top tank... 245k and 14 years you would think they would make them better :D:D:D Well at least it still has the stock head gasket, ----:D:D:D

It actually was a good time because I need to fix the oil pump leak and change the power steering hose... I also after a little searching found a KOYO radiator dealer that shipped one to my house for about 270$ and it came in the same packaging the 450$ one I bought from Toyota for the other cruiser...

Just so everyone knows in the 97 black cruiser I put a cheep 160$ aftermarket radiator when I did the head gasket because I didn't want to pay for a Toyota radiator and it lasted 2 years and split a tank. So pay the money and get a KOYO (who makes them for toyota) or a Toyota radiator. It is worth the extra money...

245k is pretty darn good, mine split the top at 155k at the calico clean up run. JB water welded it to get her home.

Went with a metal 3 row CSF for ~$225. Can always weld metal so I doubt I would ever need another one :D

BTW some places will re-top the plastic ones, with a re-core ~ $125.

Where did you source the KOYO? Mine is starting to go, and I might look into these. Thanks.

Hmmm...12-14 years for a radiator. Must be planned obsolesence! Bastids!!! Mine went summer of '06 with a hairline crack in the top of the radiator as well. Mine occured at the top of the grapevine tho at the rest area.

Yeah Brent mine was basically the same, hairline crack.

There is actually a seam there, that’s where mine cracked about ~4" long

They do last a while but I'm not a fan of the the plastic ones with that design. Basically the same thing happen over time with my 4 runner and another truck. I was low on funds and just had the top redone on the runner and it was good until I sold it.

The all metal radiators have never let me down, the one I bought has no seams but if something where to get damaged, easier to fix IMO. I wanted a 3 row also, the stock one on the 94's is 2 row I recall.

Besides the little bit of extra weight for all metal I quess its less expensive for plastic & that's the main reasons why they have been replaced with plastic?

BTW the front radiator bolts are a PITA, no room to work with unless you remove the condenser. Ending up having to purchase a 1/4" swivel, deep wall socket, and long ass extension so I get those bad boys in/out.

Last edited:
I was stuck - have the premiun AAA, so no cost to have it towed down to dealer in Santa Clarita, then bent over w/o KY to the tune of around $1200 IIRC parts, hoses and labor. That was with me haggling, knowing what Dan's prices were, AAA discount and mentioning being a member of TLCA!

Just so everyone knows in the 97 black cruiser I put a cheep 160$ aftermarket radiator when I did the head gasket because I didn't want to pay for a Toyota radiator and it lasted 2 years and split a tank. So pay the money and get a KOYO (who makes them for toyota) or a Toyota radiator. It is worth the extra money...

I have the same sob story, just on my last trip back I blew the top tank in a non KOYO rad. Here I thought a metal rad would have been better the the stock plastic outer... Oh well, I learned and ordered the KOYO, not from Toyota, save the $$$.

-Matt

Where did you source the KOYO? Mine is starting to go, and I might look into these. Thanks.

CABE Toyota (Long Beach), ask for Mike Bingham, he knows his s*** AND gives ya the same price as CDAN

the 450$ was from dan, I will find the receipt for the KOYO, and post the dealer, it came from Sacromento so next day to me..and only 20-30$ shipping...

btw snap on swivel sockets or, craftsman swivel sockets with electrical tape on them work for the front bolts.. ohh and a 2ft extention,

Last edited:
the 450$ was from dan, I will find the receipt for the KOYO, and post the dealer, it came from Sacromento so next day to me..and only 20-30$ shipping...

btw snap on swivel sockets or, craftsman swivel sockets with electrical tape on them work for the front bolts.. ohh and a 2ft extention,

KOYO, $277.00 to the shop from "Radiator Warehouse" is what it says on my online bank statement. Might want to search for that, I got the 411 from my friend at Toyota Corp. Same rad as factory....

-Matt

My original is still holding on but you can see all the hairline cracks on the surface. I will definitely be taking note of the Koyo vendors when the time comes.

Crossing fingers.

For the local OC guys 1-800-Radiator

They carry Koyos, they actually supply the radiators that we replace @ a Honda dealer- We dont use factory too expensive and customers are too cheap- ha ha

If you guys ever need anything let me know!!! But you can always call and they will give you a great price!!!

Thanks for the contacts guys.

Sorry to hijack the thread...

Can anyone confirm that the KOYO radiator they replaced with is model #1917? The guys I called at radiatorswarehouse.com said the KOYO they carry is 3 row, brass core and has plastic tanks. It sounds like the one, but I was hoping to get confirmation from one of you guys.

Fyi, if this is the one, they have it for $235 +$15s/h +tax

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom