Dallas Mechanics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Know this is the Austin Chapter, the other forums are pretty dead, but I would imagine the question comes up pretty regularly. Just got a rough quote from Frisbee Automotive to do a timing belt service on a LX 470 I just bought with around 235K. Obviously they said they needed to see it first, but the ballpark figure they gave was $3000-3300. LOL. This is something I would do myself if I wasn't 12 hours away from Dallas, so needless to say I'm looking for someone else to do the work before I drive it back to Denver. Any recommendations that won't charge 3 times standard for the work??? Preferably south, truck is with my Uncle in Midlothian and I'm relying on his generosity to drop it of for service for me.

Thanks!

Holy crap! I'd want to know EVERYTHING they plan to do. Keep in mind, the 180k service is extensive. It typically involves the following: timing belt and related tensioners, waterpump, fan bracket, all 8 plugs and coils, thermostat and many, many other things. If you're doing just the TB/WP, get the TKT021 Aisin kit off Amazon for roughly $160. A competent mechanic could do the job in 4-6 hours at around $120-130/hour. Seems to me that most Lexus dealers don't want to deal with older vehicles and quote astronomical prices to turn customers off. I know of a few people who were quoted $500+ for the AHC flush/refill on an LX! That's a job that takes 15 minutes and $45 worth of fluid.

A local Toyota dealership here in Austin quoted me $1400 to do the timing belt/waterpump job using all OEM components.

Yeah, I think buying the Aisin kit and having a mechanic do it is the route I'll end up going, my Uncle knows some guys, just checking if there were any go to people in the area. I'd seen Frisbee mentioned a few times around MUD, but had to do a double take when he told me the price.

It's something I would be ok doing myself, but it's been 140K since the truck had the timing service, so not wanting to chance 12 hrs on the highway. I'm familiar with the other things the truck needs, but can address those once I get home and have a chance. Guy at Frisbee said they wouldn't cherry pick what repairs to do, oh well.

Dadja Automotive in the mid cities. He is a cruiser guy. Knows the trucks well. He is great!!

Second on Dajda. Dajda's Auto Care. 8075 Boulevard 26. North Richland Hills TX 76180. 817-427-4857.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom