SOLD Dallas: 2006 Lexus LX470, 3-owner CA/TX, 293k, dark gray, sorted, $12,500 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. LX470
Mileage
Color
Gray
Photos: 60+ high-res available, best-of down below
NEW Price: $12,500
VIN: [removed post-sale]

Hi, All. I cherrypicked this hundy 3 years ago, seeking out this exact year, color combo, and from the desert southwest or TX. After weeks of combing the usual outlets and researching technicals on here and ExPo, I found this 2-owner (*now 3-owner*) from SoCal (Bakersfield) with 228k miles in late 2016. It wound up on a small used car lot in Phoenix, AZ. I had it checked out with a PPI at a Toyota indy shop nearby- all good. So I nabbed it, booked accommodations to fly out, celebrated with a night at a Scottsdale resort, and would drive it back home to DFW over a couple days which I love doing. I arrived and was stoked! First Land Cruiser! This was going to be epic! What desert trails are nearby around here? Then the adventure got interesting.

I actually flew out twice before it was finally ready to drive home. The small Phoenix dealer discovered on one of the final test drives 'up the mountain' the morning of delivery back then, that it had lost compression and the block somehow had a crack. What! TF! No way I could drive it home, let alone probably out of Phoenix. I actually booked another flight back same-day from the dealer owner's office PC (on his dime). Over the next few weeks, their shop (very experienced with Lexus/Toyota SUVs trucks across the lot) ended up pillaging a perfectly fine 2005 Tundra they had just taken in with 150k mi, swapped its same 4.7 block over, and carried over the original LX top end. This got a fresh timing belt, water pump and tensioner at the time along with anything else that was easy and cost-effective to do ‘while in there’- gaskets, belts, hoses, spark plugs and fresh fluids. They did all this at no cost to me to make the situation right, but I got it documented. The lower-mileage Tundra block has arguably added years of additional service life to this vehicle and is a unique bonus for this LX. It fired right up and I drove it straight to Albuquerque for an overnight, then home to Dallas without issues the next day. My wife, who was near disillusionment out of the ordeal (as was I), then understood after driving it and threatened to make it 'her car', ha. I have since added 65k additional mi. as my daily driver ever since and have absolutely loved it.

Aside from an odd secondary air pump that failed a couple years ago (replaced at dealer, documented), this LX470 has been bulletproof and comfortable without any abuse. It started life as a SoCal mall crawler with chrome wheels. Then its tenure with me started by immediately setting it up with a suite of best practices I believe befitting this platform when I took delivery; an OME medium duty suspension from Slee with the diff drop, 33” K02s with 1.25” Spidertrax spacers, a classic roof rack basket, and a charging iPhone Lightning adaptor to stream some tunes and have Siri navigate through the factory stereo. To enhance the gray and black interior, I replaced the factory mats (included) with black Lloyd Mats carpet in the cabin, and a rubber WeatherTech cargo mat in the back. The third-row seats were missing when I got the vehicle, but didn't care as drawers were in my plans (though I never got beyond totes). The cargo divider helps protect against flying objects.

This 100-series has the expected rock chips on the front for this mileage, but is otherwise one of the nicest and well cared for examples around I believe, with a full stack of maintenance records since I picked it up. The added niceties of the Lexus package really make this quite a bit more special than a regular LC100, and the ultimate version thereof. I also like that this gray color has aged rather well into 2020, matching the lower cladding where it doesn't appear 'two-tone'. The Mark Levinson sound system still sounds great, and the rare factory night vision system still works and impresses at least as a party piece. This is also a non-smoker. No pets rode along, and my kids rarely did- no signs. We have a Suburban for that duty. Additionally, I’m not a huge guy so the seat bolster is in good shape, as are the others rarely carrying passengers, and I took good care of the interior. The suede-like headliner is excellent. Water still beads nicely on the paint but I’d have it waxed again later this year.

Here's what else you need to know for this one:
  • The TPMS light on the dash flashes; one or all of the tire sensors are bad, but I hate these nanny devices and always check my own pressures as you should as well (but these are easily fixed)
  • The AHC light on the dash flashes ‘OFF’ because it’s been bypassed with the OME setup; I never got around to fully disabling this but can be done
  • Seat memory controls don’t appear to save positions reliably, but the mirrors and seats adjust fine
  • An accident probably now shows up on the CARFAX within the last few months- this was a minor sideswipe to the driver’s rear door and tire. Happy to share these photos on request. A 2007 Impreza with a distracted driver came into my lane at 35mph in November. Her car bounced off the tire and running board. Just scuffs were noticed. Details, Ltd., a very high-quality and renown body shop in Dallas that I exclusively trust and know the owner of, did the repairs under my insurance. They repowdercoated the wheel, replaced the door cladding trim, and replaced the running board cover. Done. Looks better than ever and is back on the road. Selling now is coincidental- I was already making plans to replace the vehicle by this time (why, below).
  • The BFG K02 tires have 65k miles on them (!) and enough tread to drive home to either coast. Not touching the wear indicators just yet, but you should make plans to get them replaced. I almost did this before listing, but there are competitive options out there and maybe you fancy a different type (I'm a die-hard K02 guy, have had several sets across various trucks). Spare tire is a full-tread K02 that has never been on the ground, so only need to get a set of four of whatever if you keep this size.
  • Timing belt was last replaced by the shop before I took delivery at 228k, so you’ve got a good bit of time before the next interval. I had 325k planned for it in my notes just FYI.
  • In my care, most of the miles were highway- my commute is 2/3rds highway with smooth sailing, so it spent most of its time in the last few years garaged or cruising at 65mph. This info plus the ‘younger’ engine block and proper maintenance means this 4.7 is well-prepared to exceed the 500k mark. I have every confidence in you driving this home to wherever in North America.
  • Only selling because I've been bit by the LC200 bug. Already bought its replacement- a '13 LX. Private party selling this one and in no hurry to find it the right home- definitely wasn't going to dump something like it on trade. This is pretty much now parked at home with weekly startup checks, so miles won't be piling up further. Waiting patiently for you!
Modification details done @ 228k unless otherwise noted:
  • ARB Old Man Emu (OME) medium duty springs and shocks (600000 front sport-comfort, 600002 rear sport-comfort) and torsion bar set (Slee Off-Road)
  • ARB Old Man Emu (OME) differential drop (Slee Off-Road)
  • SPC adjustable upper control arms (Slee Off-Road)
  • Powdercoated OE wheels satin black (some shop in Phoenix at my request)
  • 33” BF Goodrich K02 E-load winter-spec tires, with an amazing 65k mi. life so far (Discount Tire, rotated with every 5k oil change)
  • Spidertrax 1.25” hubcentric bolt-on spacers (Slee Off-Road)
  • AUX-in iPhone adaptor, uses the satellite radio input, 40-pin to Lightning adaptor, charges, great sound (Crutchfield)
  • Interior cargo divider and rooftop basket safari rack (Cabela’s)
  • Front side windows tinted to 30% to more closely match the rear windows which aren't the mirror-like ones! (Llumar, Pro-Tint of Plano)
  • Lloyd’s Mats black carpet floor mats and Weathertech black rubber cargo mat (stock mats incl.)
  • Adjustable Lexus logo magnet mount for smartphone next to the heated seat controls (will throw in a few stick-on magnet discs for you by request)
  • Kidde dual fire extinguishers and mounts in 2nd row, both tanks show full (I've used another pair of extinguishers in the past- great story also by request...)
  • DuraLast AGM battery in 2018, 3-yr. warranty (AutoZone, use my mobile number for any replacement need)
  • 2-ga. precabling coiled up at the battery for powering a DC-to-AC inverter (sold separately) to make this vehicle an idling backup generator as well
  • Sylvania Silverstar Ultra high and low beam headlamp bulbs and LED rear license plate bulbs
  • Renogy charge controller in the trunk for plugging in a solar/house battery setup for off-grid camping or overland travel
Maybe we should get onto the photos already. Let me know if you need a shot of anything in more detail or if you have any questions. I’m also more than willing to jump on a phone call with you to discuss further if you please PM me with a serious inquiry. I have a demanding work and family schedule but I'll get back to you same-day ASAP. I do have the Clear blue Texas title in-hand ready to sign over, along with the maintenance folder, two Lexus keys, the thick owner's manual, and full tank of gas. I’m also happy to pick you up from the airport if you want to fly in and drive it home.

I want to give you guys first crack at this for the next week or two in appreciation for the wealth of knowledge I've found here, and really in apologies for not giving back more! Hope this helps suffice. I'm planning to list it on ExPo or Denver Craigslist by March, or maybe even BaT- they did a clean LX450 awhile back. I think it's time for a clean 470. Thanks!

Amplifications and corrections from original posting:

- I ran the CARFAX report and will provide it below for you. Realized this was already a 2-owner car which I had somehow completely forgotten about. My apologies, as this is now a 3-owner and the thread title and description was updated to reflect. Still CA/TX. I think having a '2-owner CA vehicle' stuck with me from the start and my OCD slipped. First owner was 'Commercial', probably a leased company car.
- CARFAX report also calls the minor accident I described as 'damage', not an 'accident'. Call it whatever, I guess there's a difference due to how bad it is, and this wasn't. The 'damage' area is still shown on the driver's rear from the event and confirms my description. Again, all cosmetic and repaired.
- Undercarriage shots added below this evening. Rust considerations aren't in my repertoire here in TX so hopefully these are good angles.
- Service indicated just last Friday was a door lock actuator on the driver's door; I had unit replaced and doors look perfectly in Drive, either panel, keyfob, etc.
- The rack was taken off the car as I realized it was loose (and not even straight in the photos!) and I didn't have time to mess with it last Friday morning when I planned to take it in for the lock mechanism fix. I can put it back on properly as it usually was or leave it off- take it or leave it. It's one of those generic type basket racks but actually suits the vehicle pretty well until you can throw a Front Runner on there. I always kept a Hi-Lift and MaxTrax mounted up there.

Last edited:
The amazing fact is that these trucks are built to go 400K-beyond
I know several people on the original motor + transmission etc
and have 406,000 miles, 458,000 miles and one at 535,000 MILES.

Not sure why these trucks haven't taken off in value, especially when all maintenance is done.

Not sure why these trucks haven't taken off in value, especially when all maintenance is done.

I don't think KBB is the ultimate source of what a vehicle is/isn't worth -but- I do think it's a good indication. There are a lot of cars that sell well under the KBB value while others sell well above. I don't think I've ever seen a LC/LX at or even near the KBB; they are always well above.

Texas 2006 LX470 with 293k in Excellent condition (top 3% of all cars) average book value = $11.6
kbb.JPG

I appreciate the input. Original asking price was $17,500. I may still be a bit flexible.

edit: target audience here isn’t one looking for something 100% stock with the chrome wheels. this is for someone who would do the common, quite modest, and well-thought out updates noted above anyway. this is obviously not a trail rat nor highly worn, and is a great balance of something between the two kinds of variations we see on the market.

I kinda agree with Bama newb, your truck really only have a lift as any real added value. About a month or so a black 06 or 07 was listed on here for about the same price, I think 17k but it had lift, front and rear bumper, and I think dual battery setup and I think about 20k less miles than yours and even that one took a little while to sell. I offer this input not to criticize your price or vehicle, it looks nice and well maintained but it seems like you're genuinely curious about the lack of interest.

Thanks- agreed and I appreciate the supporting info you and others have now replied with.

I’m more comfortable with the asking price now and think it’s worth closer to this, between my original asking and KBB. I certainly don’t want to be one of those “I know what I’ve got” bros, so hopefully the asking is now reasonable. I’ll even throw in a case of beer or decent bottle of whisky if it’s requested. ;)

I could be wrong, but I think your price point is around $11k-$13k tops. $14.5k still feels a bit off with your mileage, and unaddressed issues. It is clean!

Last edited:
Unaddressed issues? Sorry, did you not read the first post? :) I mean, the gas tank IS almost empty right now but I'll fill it up in time for the buyer's arrival...

I did want to bump this though for what I expect to be my last price drop. Honestly thought this was going to be more of a find than I imagined, but guess the mileage is hurting its cause. Was $14,500, now listed on Craigslist in Denver and Colorado Springs for $12,500. Pending interest from someone in Chicago.

Unaddressed issues? Sorry, did you not read the first post? :) I mean, the gas tank IS almost empty right now but I'll fill it up in time for the buyer's arrival...

I did want to bump this though for what I expect to be my last price drop. Honestly thought this was going to be more of a find than I imagined, but guess the mileage is hurting its cause. Was $14,500, now listed on Craigslist in Denver and Colorado Springs for $12,500. Pending interest from someone in Chicago.
Oh, yeah, I read it all. If I was considering on purchasing I’ll have a mechanic check it over, and, yes, your rig has issues. You addressed them in the post, but I would want them addressed before I purchased. You see? Dude, take care of your house.

Indeed I did- lighten up, guy. And I'll try and take better care of my stuff... :rolleyes:

That said, mechanics/PPI welcome.

Thanks, NoALnewb. I'm indeed starting to get a few PM inquiries on this now.

Good job getting it to a realistic ask, should sell now. best of luck!

Forgive my ignorance but is there a way to DM you? I just registered so I could contact you.
No problem- message received and responded.

Pending sale

Sold at current price and already home out of state. Thanks for playing, folks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom