Dakota Digital Fuel Gauge Calibration Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Green Bean

GOLD Star
Threads
What have most of you done to calibrate your DD fuel gauge? As suggested, I set the fuel gauge up based upon the 63 Vette fuel level sensor type. When the tank is full, the gauge only reads 3/4. I'm more worried about the accuracy at the low end. The instructions describe a manual calibration that involves starting with a completely empty tank and adding 1/3 of a tank at a time. Sounds like a PITA. I'd sure be grateful to hear how folks have handled this.
Thanks.
Mark

I've done it a couple differed ways.

The easiest way is to pull your sender, or buy a spare and use it by hand. You can eyeball the levels very well, but more importantly, empty and full will be exact.

The last fuel gauge I programed (autometer, not DD), I found the full and empty ohm values online. I then bought a resistor kit off Amazon. It had hundreds of resistors in different values, and you can put them in series or parallel to get the exact numbers you need.

There is a thread here: Help with fuel sender - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/help-with-fuel-sender.796077/page-2#post-9078025
that provides ohm values for a 1977. The discussion states:
"Looking at the diagram I would pick:
31% = 60.6 ohm for 1/3 and
69% = 38.8 ohm for 2/3"
Do you happen to know 1) if these would be the same for our 1970; and 2) if I can plug these values into the DD manual calibration set up without draining the tank?
Thanks.

Ohm Values for Fuel Sender.jpg

I've also calibrated the sender manually though holding it at rough positions in the tank. It's not perfect, but it is pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom