Dakar Springs too short, drive shaft bottoming out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ghost Rider

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all.
I'm in the thick of putting an OME spring kit on my FJ40 (77). I've got the rear springs on, but when I tried to sit the axle on the axle pins, my drive shaft bottoms out. I can't get the axle forward enough so the shoe sits on he pin. I measured my old springs (purchased from SOR near 20 years ago) and they are 5/8 inch longer from pin to spring eye compared to these new Dakar springs.
Has anyone ever encountered this? Pounding my drive shaft during axle travel is a bad thing to my reasoning.

Yes, this is a known problem with OME springs. When the weight of the truck is sitting on the springs they will flatten/lengthen just enough for the d-shaft to fit.
The d-shaft needs disconnected from the pinion flange, then install springs,shocks,etc, set truck on the ground, jump up & down on rear bumper, reinstall d-shaft.

For any who read this, I solved the problem. Cruiser Outfitters told me that grease is built up in the drive shaft. I removed the grease nipple and squeezed quite a bit of grease out of the shaft as I compressed it enough to fit the axle properly.
Mischief Managed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom