Dakar leaf spring center bolt position? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I recieved my dakar springs (front springs) for my HJ61 from man-a-fre a couple of weeks ago. Strange thing though, when I went to do the install, I noticed that the centre bolt on the Dakars was 2" out of centre (towards the rear of vehicle) as compared to the stock spring bolt location in the dead center. When installed, this results in the axle being pushed back by 2", resulting in a shortened wheelbase.
Is this normal???
Man-a-fre told me this is normal and that ARB designed them this way - short wheel base being better for offroad.

What do you guys think?

That's an interesting observation. Any other input/ideas?
thanks lowenbrau

I installed the Dakar heavy lift on my HJ60 recently (https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=66496), and the front axle was moved a little backwards as well. I definitely got the correct set up from Kurt, so I would assume that OME designed the springs that way. I am not convinced it was as much as 2 inches, but it could well have been.
Cheers,
Jan

Thanks Jan - did you have to shorten your drive shaft? Because that's what I'd have to do to use these springs. When installed, the drive shaft has NO PLAY whatsoever. That just isn't right in my opinion. But again, when I talked to Freddie at MAF, he told me they do these installs all the time and never have to do any modyfing. What the heck???

What is the part numbers on your springs?

What is the eye to center pin length for both sides of the spring?

Mabey we can figure this out.. :D

Perhaps somebody who has another Dakar kit can post up what the part number is on the front leafs.

The driveshaft *should* be fully compressed when the truck is on the hoist and the axle is hanging. That is the shortest the driveshaft will ever need to be. It only gets longer as you compress the suspension. Perhaps OME is having these these packs built roughly 550mm on the fixed side and something longer on the shackle side. This would seem to me like a good design and I'd say so if I didn't work for the competition :)

lowenbrau said:
This would seem to me like a good design and I'd say so if I didn't work for the competition :)

Made by who...did you say?

gb

Greg_B said:
Made by who...did you say?

gb

I was trying to be kind and not use this thread as an oportunity to pimp my junk but since you asked, we distribute Belton suspensions who happen to also manufacture the Dakar leafs for OME.

Who actually makes the Belton (or is that the company name)? I wonder because I had some of the stock control tags still attatched to the last set of Dakars I got on a pallet, the tags not from Belton (nor OME, Dakar), funny thing is they still list the part number as an OME 110?

Also as for the front part numbers:
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/sus_60series_dakar.html

:D

beauh said:
Thanks Jan - did you have to shorten your drive shaft? Because that's what I'd have to do to use these springs. When installed, the drive shaft has NO PLAY whatsoever. That just isn't right in my opinion. But again, when I talked to Freddie at MAF, he told me they do these installs all the time and never have to do any modyfing. What the heck???

I have not hooked up the drive shafts yet, but I doubt that I will have to shorten them. The truck came up several inches with the lift, which would certainly offset the slight move of the axle. but maybe I am in for a surprise :)

Jan - did you get the 2-3" lift kit or the 3-4" lift kit?
Also, could you do me a favour and measure the center bolt location from the front to center and also from the centre to the rear?
My dimensions are as follows on my Dakar springs: center to rear - 20" center to front - 24"
(stock springs were 22" for both front and rear, making the centre bolt exactly in the center)

more information on my springs

Jan - in your restoration pictures, the plus sign on the leaf pack is toward the front of your truck. On mine, the plus sign is on the rear part, which is the way MAF told me to install them. The longer part of the spring to the front of the vehicle, and shorter end (the end with the plus sign) towards the back. (hope that makes sense.)
Also, here's a number that I found on the springs - GF 05
Does that number mean anything?
thanks again for all the info guys. You're all great!
I know we'll get through this together...

Dakar spring problem - SOLVED!!

Well - after looking at the springs part number CS001F - these springs are for an FJ40!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe they sent me the wrong springs.
What do you guys suppose MAF will do to help me? Will they send me the proper springs at no charge to me including taking care of the shipping back of the improper springs? I know they should, it was there fault for sending me the wrong ones. But what sort of reputation do these guys have?
Does Man-a-Fre stand by their products and resolve issues?

lowenbrau said:
I'm guessing you got the wrong packs. Sounds like you got late model 40 series leafs to me.

I'm happy to say I told you so. What do I win?

MAF should be happy to pay for shipping both ways.

Well, unfortunately lowenbrau, you were right!!
I let you guys know how well it goes with MAF, Just for your information.
Thanks again.

Freddie's taking care of me. He's emailed me and told me he'll gladly ship out the proper ones at his expense as well as care for the expense of sending the incorrect ones back.
Still have to find out how to recover my duties that I paid when the first ones were sent to me. 15% duty on these babies, bringing them into Canada. I sure don't want to have to fork out another 15% for the new ones!
Anyway, so far, I'm relieved at Freddie's quick response to resolve the situation.
Man-a-Fre gets an A+ in my books!

I'm so happy listening that, we are human and we can be mistaken, the important thing is to recognize it and to give solution. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom