Daily driving a Solid Axle Land Cruiser (I hope) for the next 20+ Years?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Other than the highest initial cost, what are some of the long term drawbacks of DD the 97 80-series with the swapped 1HDFTE?

Not many if you're prepared to live with the quirks of an older car.
Noise is one.
Diesel on your hands is another
Sore cheeks from grinning like an idiot.

The HD FTE will be noisier than a modern gas engine.
They are powerful and economical, especially with turbo, exhaust, intercooler etc upgraded.

That engine was never installed in an 80 from the factory, but they're well tested in 100 and 7x series for nearly 20years

An ls swap is not magic, there should be plenty of custom car shops that could do a proper clean ls swap on an 80 series

At the miles your driving annually I can't see why you care so much about gaining a few MPG. The cost of buying a diesel version or any engine swap far out weighs the benefits. You'll never make up initial investment before the engine or vehicle reaches the end of it's useful life. Accept that you have a good running truck that gets crappy gas mileage and remember that you have no payments, cheap insurance and a car you love and move on. All the money you won't spend on new vehicles and swapping crap around buys a ton of fuel.

Now if you want the swap or diesel for other reasons then more power to you. Also if you want towing buy a $2,500 1/2 ton truck that you can find all day long. Put the wear and tear of towing on that, which is basically disposable.

At the miles your driving annually I can't see why you care so much about gaining a few MPG. The cost of buying a diesel version or any engine swap far out weighs the benefits. You'll never make up initial investment before the engine or vehicle reaches the end of it's useful life. Accept that you have a good running truck that gets crappy gas mileage and remember that you have no payments, cheap insurance and a car you love and move on. All the money you won't spend on new vehicles and swapping crap around buys a ton of fuel.

Now if you want the swap or diesel for other reasons then more power to you. Also if you want towing buy a $2,500 1/2 ton truck that you can find all day long. Put the wear and tear of towing on that, which is basically disposable.

This DOES make a lot of sense! The more I think about it, one of the main reasons I always wanted an 80 was because if it's off-road capability, and dependability. I like wheeling on more difficult trails, where I have already gotten some body damage. An expensive cruiser wouldn't make sense, as by default, I'll be more careful and worried about damaging it.

As many of you have said, changing vehicles (to a diesel or V8) for fuel savings doesn't seem to be worth it either. Even though I had a real itch to get a diesel prior to posting this thread, everyone's advice on here seems to have swayed me (at least for now), to keep what I have, re-gear to 4.88's, and enjoy! If I end-up getting a camper/toy hauler that the 80 cannot tow, guess a separate cheap tow vehicle makes more sense... I just won't have the 80 with me on those trips. Thank you for all the feedback, advice, and reality check boys! :) Here's a picture of my cruiser as it sits today...

29101654_10155055034135738_8206872519068614656_o.jpg

Agree 100% with this.

The cost of any engine swap, turbo install, or supercharger etc will almost never be recovered in fuel savings unless you do huge miles every year.

spare yourself the Rubicon..... I built up a 14' JKUR with everything Metalcloak had and while impressive wheelin' it was a miserable truck to DD and felt soulesss.....

an 80 with a few mods and rebuilt motor and turbo is the best option IMHO.....

Slee’s version is THE best but also THE most expensive.

As many have mentioned before 20 years is a long time and there is no way that you as a person won’t change. In fact if you don’t change as a person in 20 years is actually a bigger problem. So it is highly doubtful you will want to DD the same thing for the next 20 years. Side project/fun car? Sure! But DD is very highly unlikely......you also need to be rich to afford the gas for the thirsty old girl.
Contact Torfab about the 100 series SAS too. He recently did one.

As many of you have said, changing vehicles (to a diesel or V8)

The cost of a motor swap won't offset fuel savings, but it will give you the ability to cruise at higher speeds on interstate driving, maintain speeds on long grades, and tow things with it while getting better fuel efficiency. The cost of a motor swap would offset the cost of a second tow vehicle (insurance, maintenance, fuel, and purchase price)

Here's the link to the 1993 1HDT for sale in Montana. The owner said it has a little bit of rust on the bottom side of the rear-most windows (both sides, bottom front edge):

I don't know how any one can justify this price ! LOL

spare yourself the Rubicon..... I built up a 14' JKUR with everything Metalcloak had and while impressive wheelin' it was a miserable truck to DD and felt soulesss.....
an 80 with a few mods and rebuilt motor and turbo is the best option IMHO.....
Yeah, the more I thought about it, I really don't think I could move-on to a Rubicon.

Contact Torfab about the 100 series SAS too. He recently did one.
Thanks, will look into this anyway, as a SAS 2005 100series would be awesome! Was also thinking to be patient until I possibly come across one that's for sale... or do those sell fast?

The cost of a motor swap won't offset fuel savings, but it will give you the ability to cruise at higher speeds on interstate driving, maintain speeds on long grades, and tow things with it while getting better fuel efficiency. The cost of a motor swap would offset the cost of a second tow vehicle (insurance, maintenance, fuel, and purchase price)
Thats why I had the mindset of trying to have just one vehicle. Even with the stock gearing and 35's I cruise comfortably @75 in So Cal, and @55-60 up steep grades like the grapevine. To put things into perspective, last night I test towed a friends 1800lb pop-up trailer up a #3-mile grade that was @7% incline. Had to switch down to "2" from "D" and maintained a speed of @55mph while the engine was @3700rpm. I dont plan on getting a big camper or toy hauler (just for a couple of quads and a dirt bike), so if I re-gear to 4.88, and keep the trailer under 3500lbs, I should be okay right?

20190518_090329.jpg

Based on that last pic you may want to get a drop hitch, would make towing the pop up a little safer.

Based on that last pic you may want to get a drop hitch, would make towing the pop up a little safer.

Definitely, but that was just a friends camper that I was just pulling up a grade to test my truck. Once I get a trailer, I'll be matching the hitch height to make sure the trailer tongue is parallel to the ground!

I know I’m going to get flamed but.......

I say go for the Jeep Rubicon JLU

It’s newer, has all the bells and whistles with tons of aftermarket support, it wheels better than the 80 on/off road, and best of all with 37’s on the stock gearing I know people are getting over 15-17 mpg!

But I still love my 80....

All I know is in 20 years I'm going to be f'ing old. The last thing I'm thinking about or planning for is what car I'm going to be driving.

As much as I'd like to be driving my rig forever, I also firmly believe that between the rust and the idiots text-driving on the road it is just not going to happen. I've already had to go off-roading on the verge several times to get away from oncoming vehicles in my lane, and someday one is going to be unavoidable. Or the rust is going to be too much to keep up with some day and she won't pass annual inspection any more.

The day she has to go will be a very sad day indeed...:cry:.

But just like having a really good dog, you have to enjoy the time you have with them and just know that it's not going to be a forever thing. I'm keeping an eye out for my next one while this one is still on the road though!;)

(And as always-YMMV. Y'all in no-snow/no-salt states can ignore this and keep on keeping on, ya lucky :censor:'s...)

All I know is in 20 years I'm going to be f'ing old. The last thing I'm thinking about or planning for is what car I'm going to be driving.
I just hope I’m still breathing in 20 years😎

I know I’m going to get flamed but....... I say go for the Jeep Rubicon JLU

It’s newer, has all the bells and whistles with tons of aftermarket support, it wheels better than the 80 on/off road, and best of all with 37’s on the stock gearing I know people are getting over 15-17 mpg!

But I still love my 80....
Everyone has an opinion, and I appreciate yours as well! The 80 has NEVER let me down on the trails, mechanically, or in it's capability, and ability to take a beating on the trail, and get me home safely. The main two reasons I was considering a change was due to MPG, and towing ability. At 3-4x the price, I can't seem to justify the Rubicon. I'm still at a stage where I can't seem to let go of the "character" and appeal of the 80... or a SAS 100 :)

QUOTE="brosky, post: 12378047, member: 114070"]
I just hope I’m still breathing in 20 years😎
[/QUOTE]
lol, sorry guys! 😉

As much as I'd like to be driving my rig forever, I also firmly believe that between the rust and the idiots text-driving on the road it is just not going to happen. I've already had to go off-roading on the verge several times to get away from oncoming vehicles in my lane, and someday one is going to be unavoidable. Or the rust is going to be too much to keep up with some day and she won't pass annual inspection any more.

The day she has to go will be a very sad day indeed...:cry:.

But just like having a really good dog, you have to enjoy the time you have with them and just know that it's not going to be a forever thing. I'm keeping an eye out for my next one while this one is still on the road though!;)

(And as always-YMMV. Y'all in no-snow/no-salt states can ignore this and keep on keeping on, ya lucky :censor:'s...)
Very true, you never know when a freak accident can happen. Guess the moral of the story is to not overthink it, and enjoy it for as long as I can!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom