Builds DADs Landmark (restomod) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well here it goes.

Ive never made a build thread before. Ive never really thought my projects were interesting enough. Usually fairly ordinary and noting too exciting. I would like to think this time is different because the truck has sentimental value to me. I would also like to try and keep some sort of record of the work that has gone into it. Hopefully it will force me to work a little faster and take more pictures.

LANDMARK was a nickname given to the FJ40 by my mom who never liked the truck. She says its ugly and it always had to follow us around marking where we lived. It was rolled somewhere between 25 and 30 years ago before i was born in southern California. From what i understand the damage was extensive and a junkyard body was swapped on. Im not sure when the chevy 350/ th400 or the 3" body lift came in but thats what im working with. After it was drivable again I came into the picture putting the project on hold. Eventually it was dragged to Washington state where it sat under cover or indoors for 20 years.

Around 3 years ago my dad passed away suddenly and unexpectedly. Soon after that the fj40 made its way to my house. Progress has been slow the last couple years. Mostly collecting parts, taking things apart, and planning.

The build plan is to keep it similar to what my dad wanted, with a few extra goodies.

Chevy LS1
4l60e or 4l80e
Dana 300, split case, or atlas
Fj60 front axle w/ 80 center section
Centered rear axle w/ 80 center
37" tires
cage/ tube fenders/ sliders
Spring over suspension
lots of fancy bells and whistles

I forgot to mention that im getting married next October (2017). My goal is to have this thing at least driving and wheeling before September so that i can take it wheeling for my batchelor party. I would be really cool to take my dads truck with me. Wish me luck

Last edited:
This is the oldest picture that i can find from 3 or 4 years ago. As you can see fairly old school, I believe that the original color is the orange on the early grill. The rest are junkyard parts. not sure what color im going to paint it yet.
gYHX3DB.jpg

I finally got it to my house and was able to tinker around with it in the garage while i was building a shop.
70733ey.jpg

In the garage i was able to put an fj60 axle under it with spring over perches. it has minitruck outers and 4x4 labs histeer. Also fj80 9.5 center section
1wUXZOI.jpg

Shop finally got finished enough to move projects in and get some work done

Only picture i have of this step. I stripped everything off and removed all old mounts that i wasnt going to use. and started grinding/hammering/torching. Those rivets are tough buggers. Thats just dirt that came out of the frame. I had about the same amount of grinding dust.
e7ovcDP.jpg

Here is a picture after most of that annoying work. I will deal with that rear cross-member and frame box later after i get a couple new ones in there. fj cruiser 17 wheels, 37" roller km2 tires for mock up, and the rear spring over all mocked up.
hFSyNW4.jpg

Last edited:
Great yarn and good plans! Your dad will be looking down with pride! :)

Looks like you got your plan well thought out, and a really cool garage to bring it all together! I don't believe the orange was the stock color unless it was red that is seriously faded. Or is there an urban legend about a very rare pumpkin orange color that was used on a few early models?

It too early to be the unban legend pumpkin orange, like a few 73-74.

Eric, sorry about you loosing your dad, we all do sooner or later though- - -sad.
The only recommendation I have regarding your "to do' list is not using the TH400. I'd go TH350, or better yet a 700R4:
(1) TH400 is longest choice, won't have much of a rear drive shaft, and no overdrive gear.
(2) TH350 shortest choice, gives you the longest rear drive shaft. GM used the TH350 in much heavier vehicles than your FJ40.
(3) 700R4 has even lower first gear, has an overdrive gear, and is strong than a TH350 or TH400.

Thanks for the support and advice guys! Ive been in kinda a stall for the last few days because im waiting for the radiator that i ordered to get here. I need to fit it before i can decide on final placement of the motor. I took advantage of a ruff stuff sale a while back. here is my pile of parts.
20161231_094219.jpg

As far as the color, I really have no idea. Here is a picture of the early grill where some of the paint has been stripped. And also the frame stamp. I think the stamp means it was built in september of 63?
20161231_154707.jpg

20161231_154741.jpg

I originally wanted to run a th350 but unfortunately the stak 3 speed transfer case that i have is a 32 spline input. Stak is out of buisness and i cant seem to source a new input anywhere. I also struck out trying to find a 32 spline output for the th350. I would like to keep it auto so i believe that my options are between the th400 and 4l80e. This picture shows where i think the transfer case will land. (ill be doing a little tunnel work)
20161231_094018.jpg

Today i was able to get a little done on the bumper mounts, front frame box and shackle hangers. Here is what i started with.
20161231_094032.jpg

Cut the fronts at an angle so that i can reach the bottom bolts for the bumper. and im going to reuse the stock upper brackets.
20161231_155606.jpg

Boxed the front frame section and welded the front cross-member solid. I left a hole in the top so i can still use the factory style tow hooks. i also left the front of the frame open so that i can get to that front bolt.
20161231_141636.jpg

I cut and angled the back of the 2x6 tube and boxed it for looks/strength.
20161231_160116.jpg

Bumper is the Hell For Stout bumper. Looks pretty good. Now i just need to find a cheap 8274 to fix up.
20161231_160059.jpg

unfortunately the bottom of my bracket isnt quite wide enough to use both bolt holes in the bumper. One for sure will fit, but the more the better when were talking about the winch mount. Ill figure something out. May have to drill another hole in the bumper.

Thats all for now. Hopefully i get that radiator soon so i can start on the fun stuff.

And also the frame stamp. I think the stamp means it was built in september of 63?
That's just the frame number. 40 series frame numbers began with the year of manufacture until 1964, then they began with the model designation in 1965. 1-FJ40-1234 = 1961 model; FJ40-44639 = 1965 onwards. It wasn't until the late 70' that the frame numbers had six digits.

That's just the frame number. 40 series frame numbers began with the year of manufacture until 1964, then they began with the model designation in 1965. 1-FJ40-1234 = 1961 model; FJ40-44639 = 1965 onwards. It wasn't until the late 70' that the frame numbers had six digits.

Thats good to know. How does one figure out what year the truck is? Growing up i was told 68 but the title says 64. Are there vin plates? It may be hiding in the bottom of a box somewhere.

Thats good to know. How does one figure out what year the truck is? Growing up i was told 68 but the title says 64. Are there vin plates? It may be hiding in the bottom of a box somewhere.
Not sure. We didn't get VIN's until the seventies - but y'all could be different. It could be a late '64 truck, but to my knowledge it would begin with 4-FJ-xxxxx. Others may chime in.

Plus a 1964 would have a corrugated top.

This thread is helpful for that...
Looks like yours is a 66 according to that page.

Oh, and very cool sentimental build.

Thanks for the support and information. I hadnt stumbled on that registry yet. Your right ooks like the frame is a 66. Now i just have to figure out what year the tub is.

Not that it matters whatever the title wants to call it im ok with. :hillbilly:

Thanks for the support and information. I hadnt stumbled on that registry yet. Your right ooks like the frame is a 66. Now i just have to figure out what year the tub is.

Not that it matters whatever the title wants to call it im ok with. :hillbilly:

If anyone asks you what year... just tell them it's "timeless".

If anyone asks you what year... just tell them it's "timeless".

5/66

Frame... there are a lot of colors going on ... the title match the frame number?

There was vin plates

Timeless. Im def going to remember that one.

Good news! I dug around in my file box and fount the title. It matches the frame number and does say 66. I def remember hearing 68 but i have no idea where i got the 64 number from.

Also found these that probably belong to the junkyard tub.
31fadac8-ca14-47cf-ad07-1eaae3498087.jpg

And also in other news after work today i went for a little drive and picked up an old 8274 for a reasonable price. Took it apart for inspection and re assembled. looks to be in decent shape. the gear on the brake was on backwards tho... :doh: I havent decided if im going to rebuild/uprade it or just clean it, paint it, and throw some 3/8 synthetic on it. Upgrades would be really nice but its money on something thats not a fj40 vital organ.

20170102_174409.jpg

anyone else have the same workbench? :lol:

There is your confusion...

The vin tag is 8/64... the brass tag shows when it was registered/sold ... should say T-6? Something

Do you not have the vin tag for your cruiser?

There was/is a guy on mud reproing them

There is your confusion...

The vin tag is 8/64... the brass tag shows when it was registered/sold ... should say T-6? Something

Do you not have the vin tag for your cruiser?

There was/is a guy on mud reproing them

It says T-65

I havent found one yet. Along with this project came several boxes of loose parts that i have only briefly looked through. These tags happened to be on top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom