DADGUMIT! Knuckle Rebuild! Something ain't right (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lancruza

It's time to get busy livin.
Threads
Putting everything back together. All new seals, knuckle bearings, and wheel bearings. Wheel bearings are KOYO from Napa, 943 and 945.

I just put my rotor on with the new bearings. I put on the thrust washer, nut, lock washer, and 2nd nut...all torqued to spec. Bearings feel good. Everything's tight and right. Nothing loose, rotor turns smooth on the new wheel bearings.

BUT....the 2nd adjusting lock nut is sticking out too far. When I slide on the drive flange, it will not seat because the back of the flange hits the lock nut before bottoming. I pulled the rotor back off to see if I could spot a problem. Nothing I can see. I didn't notice anything so I put it all back together. Same result.

What should I look for? I'm clueless. Here's some pics...

20211117_190127.jpg
20211117_190140.jpg
20211117_215030.jpg

Last edited:
wierd. Are the nuts The same distance down the spindle shaft they were when you took it apart? I just did some stuff in my knuckle and the first time I went to tighten the locknuts they seemed to catch too soon.

The seal in the back of the hub is either not fully seated or you’ve got some sort of deformation on the spindle. Either would prevent the hub from sliding all the way back onto the spindle.

The seal in the back of the hub is either not fully seated or you’ve got some sort of deformation on the spindle. Either would prevent the hub from sliding all the way back onto the spindle.
Thanks for the input. The rear seal is flush with the rotor housing. I put it in with a bearing race driver. Should it be flush or recessed? I thought it to be flush. I will pull it back off tomorrow and try and figure this out. I've rebuilt an axle before on another 80 of mine with no problems. That's why this has me a little stumped.

Your bearing races I assumed you change, did you seat them all the way? You don’t want to have dirt or debris where the race sits. When pounding them in listen to the nose they make you will get a distinctly different tone once the race is fully seated all around.

Your bearing races I assumed you change, did you seat them all the way? You don’t want to have dirt or debris where the race sits. When pounding them in listen to the nose they make you will get a distinctly different tone once the race is fully seated all around.
Yep. I used a bearing race installer. In my mind I've done everything correctly, but obviously something is wrong. I guess I'll pull the rotor back off tomorrow, clean the new grease out, and double check myself. Thanks for helping me think and rethink my steps.

What should I look for? I'm clueless. Here's some pics...

View attachment 2841754
Rebuilt mine using exact same KOYO bearings.
If your bearing races are fully seated, and it looks like they are...
...and you didn't change drive flanges (possibly ordering the wrong version, tho doesn't account for that much diff)...
...imo the shaft isn't fully seated in the third member.

Rebuilt mine using exact same KOYO bearings.
If your bearing races are fully seated, and it looks like they are...
...and you didn't change drive flanges (possibly ordering the wrong version...)
...imo the shaft isn't fully seated in the third member.
The spindle would have never bolted onto the knuckle if that was the case…

Tho isn't the spindle hole larger than the shaft?
The shaft has no influence on the hub sliding onto the spindle. He can’t get the hub assembly all the way on the spindle. It’s a bearing/hub/spindle issue.

I second the races possibly not being seated all the way

Pull the hub assembly and check your spindle.

I'll bet the inner race of the inner bearing is not sliding all the way onto the spindle and seating against the back of the spindle. I have had new bearings that felt much tighter and were harder to seat all the way. You should have a few exposed threads on the spindle after everything is on and tight.

The only other possibility is that the outer race in the hub is not fully seated.

I use 35 lb-ft torque on the inner nut, then 45 lb-ft on the outer nut.

Do the inner nut while rotating the hub.

Don't forget to bend over the tabs on your locking washer.

Had the same thing on one of my sides when I did axles the first time. Inner race not seated all the way.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I pulled the rotor back off and started checking. The culprit was the outer race of my outer bearing. I swear I had tapped it in till it bottomed, but I was wrong. Imagine that, lol. It still had almost 1/8" before it was set. Tapped it all the way in and everything is the way it should be. Till next time....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom