Da'40: The Baby Steps Forward (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
OK, maybe a lot less than a baby step. Long story goes ...

Larry and I have been picking a part a pair of FJ62's in Santa Fe. There was a guy in Florida (I'll call him Scott, which sounds just like his real name) that wanted the doors so I pulled, and shipped, those for him. After lots of thought, I decided to get the steering column for Da'40 ... only to have a guy post up that he wanted a steering wheel from said type of vehicle. So, I sold him the steering wheel after discovering that a mini-truck wheel, along with a FJ60 wheel (both of which I had) also fit. The mini-truck wheel actually looks pretty good, BTW.

Anyway, I'm on a beach in Baja. I'm thinking about this steering column. I'm thinking that I need to drill out the lock cylinder because I don't have the key. Then I remember Scott. He has the doors, in particular the front passenger door. The door with the lock cylinder that has the key code (anybody learn something here?). So I email Scott and ask him if he still has the lock cylinders. Turns out he hasn't touched the doors yet, so yes. I ask him if he could pull the cylinder out of the passenger door and send me the key code. Of course he says.

So, with key code in hand I boogie down to American Toyota, our favorite Toyota dealer. Tom makes me a key. I take the key home ... and it works perfect. So I go back, get another key, and one of Dan's fancy key chains to celebrate this mini-milestone.

So while this project is still a long ways off, I have keys for Da'40, when ever I get to the point of needing them.

It's surprizing the number of little details like this that come up with any major vehicle project.

Good for you, Jon. At least you'll be able to start the MOFO from the driver's seat when the time comes.

More play today. Taking a clue from our BJ friends I put an EFI badge on da'40's grill. The badge is from the top of the intake on the 3FE engine. It's mounted to a piece of 1/8" steel with two holes drilled in it. The holes have #10 flat head machine screws, counter sunk, welded, and ground flush.
EFI Badge1_sm.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool! As soon as people see that badge, they'll be asking you to pop the hood so they can see what's underneath.

More steps today. This truck will have 32 gallons with the 10 gallons on the rack. Basket is from Luke at 4x4Labs. He sells his stuff in "kit" form. I bought a modified kit with just the parts I needed to adapt to my bumper. It's a tight squeeze next to the tire, but I think I'll have about 3/4" between the two. Pictures suck due to the tight space, sorry.

Jon

Last edited:
but now what for the Hi-Lift?

Hell if I know. IF, and that's a big if, I had installed the latch a couple inches over I MIGHT have had room for a jack. Those 40's are skinny in the rear. Thing is, this wasn't what I planned for fuel. It just happen to become available.

I wish my brain was in gear when I did this. I would have made the rack bolt on so I could take it off when I didn't need it. It sticks out a long way and there is no doubt I'll catch it. I'm going to think about it. I might be able to cut it off. It would also be nice to have a single can rack so I could use either one depending on need. Guess I'll get the grinder out.

Last edited:
Shouldn't you be addressing more pressing projects like...um...getting it running? :flipoff2:

Gotta go with Greg on that one...

Shouldn't you be addressing more pressing projects like...um...getting it running? :flipoff2:

Gotta go with Greg on that one...

Why? You've seen what it looks like. Do you think it's moving any time soon? As far as I'm concerned any work on Da'40 is a step toward completion. It all needs to be done.

Jon,

**** With all due respect ****

You need to git off your lazy a$$ and start working on that thing. How long has it been now? 5 Years, going on 6 ?

By 5PM tomorrow, I expect to see a project plan with firm delivery dates and estimated costs. You have spent weeks and weeks in Baja. You waste time gallivanting around Utah, Colorado, and New Mexico. You go out with women and you have been known to drink beer and other alcoholic beverages; splurging good $$$ that could be allocated to [ edited ] da 40.

Enough already. You must get to work on that thing immediately! (Right after Cruise Moab. :D)

-Mike-

Last edited:
You waste time gallivanting around Utah, Colorado, and New Mexico.

You forgot California. :grinpimp:

And it's Da'40, not da'40.

edit: FYI. After CM, in late May we have a holiday. I'm working this holiday weekend, and the holiday. "So what," you ask? That gives me a five day the following weekend. That weekend, at this time, is going to be dedicated to Da'40. I volunteered to host the meeting that weekend, but alas, Steve and Wendy had dibs. Never the less, I just might be needing a little help, so watch out.

Last edited:
Gotta go with Mike on that one...

You need to git off your lazy a$$ and start working on that thing. How long has it been now? 5 Years, going on 6 ?

You had me there. I couldn't remember how long it's been. So, I checked. Da'40 was titled in September 2003. It's only been 3½ years. :cheers:

Da'Rat

Back on the Job

After CM, in late May we have a holiday. I'm working this holiday weekend, and the holiday. "So what," you ask? That gives me a five day the following weekend. That weekend, at this time, is going to be dedicated to Da'40. ... Never the less, I just might be needing a little help, so watch out.

Well, I could use some help. At the risk of more abuse I didn't make as much progress as I would like the last two days. Among other things I ran out of MIG gas.

The fuel rack is done. The clutch is on the flywheel, though I did have a setback and couldn't find the fricken bolts for the pressure plate (I should have two sets). It's on, but I need to get some class 10.9 bolts to finish the job right. I also worked on the steering column, but decided I needed professional help getting it mounted so Ryan is going to come over Sunday and give me some ideas. Moving the dash over three inches really messed up the column mounting.

So, pending tomorrow, I would like help setting the engine back between the frame rails so I can work on the wiring and a few other engine details. I will also need help attaching the tranny so I can fab the cross-member on the tranny and figure out a skid plate to protect the guts.

Anybody want to donate their Saturday morning to the cause? Say, about 10am.

Jon

Jon,

I get off work at 7am (Pres Downtown), if nobody else chimes in to help you, I'd be willing to give it a go if you can start earlier than 10am. I usually go right home to sleep, but If things get going early enough I can help you out in the morning. I work again Sat night.

Graham

Jon,

I get off work at 7am (Pres Downtown), if nobody else chimes in to help you, I'd be willing to give it a go if you can start earlier than 10am. I usually go right home to sleep, but If things get going early enough I can help you out in the morning. I work again Sat night.

Graham

Ditto. If you can start around 7-8am, I can come and help for a couple of hours then get down to ABQ for work.

-onur

come on Jon, you know you like waking early on your weekned to work on the truck :D

I'll be there at 8am.

Graham

Ditto. If you can start around 7-8am, I can come and help for a couple of hours then get down to ABQ for work.

-onur

You three are on. See ya at 8am. :grinpimp: Bring your own coffee.

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom