d40 carb 1bbl questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FishTacos

Full Globetard
Threads
2 d 8 d40 carburetor from a '68 40 so I guess it isn't the original carb ('72, '82 even???)

I have a 74 engine in there and I believe it has a '68 I/E manifold but I'm not really sure. It does have the adapter bit for the 1bbl carb and the firing order in the intake casting toward the #1 cylinder....

I have two questions. First, the rebuild kit was without a step-up-rod (the little thing that looks like a shepherds crook that fits into the main jet and moves in concert with the pump plunger)

Can I run without it?

Second, what do these two figures mean in the FSM with regard to the "throttle valve" position? I don't understand how to check this adjustment. SST needed? Is there a trick?

I guess that was four questions. I will post pics shortly as they're on my phone.

Pics as promised

Sorry they are sideways
ForumRunner_20131014_112120.jpg
ForumRunner_20131014_112136.jpg
ForumRunner_20131014_112202.jpg

I hooked it up with a jumper from the "valve sub assembly" to the battery. It clicked so I think it is functional.

It starts and maintains a reasonable idle with the choke at about 85%. I don't see any oil coming from the rockers after letting it run for about 45 seconds. Is that normal?

I had the engine machined and reassembled it myself giving great care to the oil pathway. I don't want to do any kind of break-in procedure until I am sure that I have oil circulation.

How long does it take for the oil to get to the top end normally?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom