D@MN bikini top won't stay on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Folks,

I have the Besttop bikini top and windshield channel. Both are brand new. Perfectly straight windshield. However, for some reason I cannot stop the bikini top from blowing off from the front. I have been looking for some ideas as to the best way to hold this thing in place... even read a thread or 2.

Any suggestions?
JOnny

Are you pulling the tension straps down as taught as possible.
Where did you install the footman loops.
What kind of roll bar do you have.
Have any pics of the front channel.
At what speed is the top blowing off.

Best I can say is pull it taught.. I've had mine come off on the highway as well.. It sucks when that happens!

It happens when the top pillows up (like a convertible) It creates slack and then pow the front comes off..

Edit: another possible cause is at speed the wind is pushing the windshield backwards which also creates slack on the top...

so essentially pull that thing tight.

I had the same problems w/bestop too. I eventually went w/the Kayline style bikini top. I saw a post not to long ago that someone else is making that style again. It has a different channel & a cord sewn in the top for the windshield attachment point.

The title of this thread is misleading. I want my money back.

you have to "fold" it over and put BOTH the cloth and plastic in ... I had to "tap" mine in with a hammer LOL

Are you pulling the tension straps down as taught as possible.
Where did you install the footman loops.
What kind of roll bar do you have.
Have any pics of the front channel.
At what speed is the top blowing off.

I'm trying to :)

1. Back corners
2. Smittybuilt
3. Not right now - it's at mechanics.
4. > 30mph

Best I can say is pull it taught.. I've had mine come off on the highway as well.. It sucks when that happens!

It happens when the top pillows up (like a convertible) It creates slack and then pow the front comes off..

Edit: another possible cause is at speed the wind is pushing the windshield backwards which also creates slack on the top...

so essentially pull that thing tight.

OK - I will make sure to do that, although I am pretty sure it won't go much tighter...

I had the same problems w/bestop too. I eventually went w/the Kayline style bikini top. I saw a post not to long ago that someone else is making that style again. It has a different channel & a cord sewn in the top for the windshield attachment point.

I just spent the money on these so I really don't want to have to buy other news ones right now...

The title of this thread is misleading. I want my money back.

If it would make you feel better I could borrow my girlfriends bikini and put it on... although I can assure you that it wouldn't make you feel any better :eek:

you have to "fold" it over and put BOTH the cloth and plastic in ... I had to "tap" mine in with a hammer LOL

Hmmm. I didn't think of this. Seems like it would just puill straight back out once you pulled it tight...?

Thanks guys,
Jonny

I had mine pop off once but that was behind a motor home about 65 mph. I have run 60-65 with no problems. Is your windshield flexing back as was suggested by wzftaco. Mine will flap quite a bit at those speeds but it doesn't come out of the channel. Its at leats 5 years old.

I've heard that Wine coolers make bikini tops fall off, I'm just sayin' :hillbilly:

A couple of distributors site have install videos, you might hit a few and find out what yousee.

I had mine pop off once but that was behind a motor home about 65 mph. I have run 60-65 with no problems. Is your windshield flexing back as was suggested by wzftaco. Mine will flap quite a bit at those speeds but it doesn't come out of the channel. Its at leats 5 years old.

check to make sure the spacers that go between the dash and the windshield frame are there to keep the frame from flexing back

check to make sure the spacers that go between the dash and the windshield frame are there to keep the frame from flexing back

I am with Ige. Keeps the windshield more static.

Mine will get floppy and loose when it warms up and expands. :hmm:(No Pun Intended)

Sometimes I need to adjust the top two or three times as the temps warm up during the day.

Line it with rachel mesh or even nylon shadecloth to reduce the ballooning effect. I made a bikini top out of marine vinyl and had all sorts of problems until I lined it.

When I installed mine for the first time, I put the channels on upside down and it would come off at speeds over 30-40 mph. Once I flipped the channels over so that the channel part is "down" I never had a problem with it again. The plastic tab piece should rotate slightly in the channel once the straps are pulled tight to kind of lock it in place.

You shouldn't have to roll some of the fabric into the channel to keep it secure. I would think that the edge of the channel would eventually cut the material.

Had the same issues. Just got some 2" nylon strapping and buckles, made a simple strap and put it over the bikini top and roll bar...side to side roughly over the driver's head. Never had a 'pop-off' after

Folks,

I have the Besttop bikini top and windshield channel. Both are brand new. Perfectly straight windshield. However, for some reason I cannot stop the bikini top from blowing off from the front. I have been looking for some ideas as to the best way to hold this thing in place... even read a thread or 2.

Any suggestions?
JOnny

Post up some pictures of how you have the windshield channel and the top installed.

pics would help

I use a real simple solution: get a plastic ensheathed metal rope at the hardware store and thread it through the channel in a way it packs the bikini top into the channel - make a loop at the end of the metal rope, attach a mini hose clamp/rope clamp on both sides, use wingnuts to tie them down at the OEM window frame button points

I modified my Bestop softtop to have a channel for the metal rope - and I made my bikini to have one in the first place

total cost of needed additional materials runs around $7.44 :hillbilly:

Hmmm. I didn't think of this. Seems like it would just puill straight back out once you pulled it tight...?

Thanks guys,
Jonny

^^ this part makes me think you have the windshield channel installed backwards. Is the opening to the front or to the rear?

^^ this part makes me think you have the windshield channel installed backwards. Is the opening to the front or to the rear?

The opening faces the front of the vehicle...

Jonny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom