"D" indicator on Dashboard - 1998 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I put my LC in drive, the "D" indicator light on the dashboard no longer illuminates. All of the others light up though. Is this a pre-cursor to the dashboard cluster going out, or is there a fuse or something that is easily changable? Thanks for any insight anyone can give.

Welcome to the club! :flipoff2: Most of us with older young cruisers drive w/o the D illuminated. As Eduardo said, it's just a burned out bulb and not real easy to get to. There are write-ups if you search (comment for you Junk!).

I searched before I put this post in, but obviously was not putting the right criteria in. I actually searched twice, using two different sets of search criteria.

Thanks for the info and comfort that it is just a bulb. To me, it's not a big deal unless it has some affect on the dashboard cluster. If you can give me some better search words to try, I will do another search to see if I can find the write-ups on how to change this.

Thanks again.

I have the same problem with my D light-- no light in the D.

I also have the same problem with my center diff lock light. It doesn't go on at all-- even when you are just starting so I assume it is burned out. The front and rear lights work, only this one does not appear to work at all. I assume that this would also be the light? Is this light also hard to replace?

Jared

Greg -
Pound on the dashboard just above the instrument cluster with your open palm. The D-rive light will (probably) come back on. At least for a little while. I think this remedy is the intellectual property of SCO, er, Junk, so be sure to thank him if it works.

I've discovered that I prefer having the D-rive light off -- the dashboard is a little darker for night driving.

LT

I did a quick search and looked in the tech section and also came up empty. I know somebody on this board did it and amongst a few well chosen four letter words and a few :beer:;s got the job done in an hour or so as I recall. I remember a few broken clips and some skinned knuckles in the process as well. It was enough for me to say 'fawk it', I'll drive without a green D staring at me on the dash.

My D light is out too!! 8) I will try the beat the top of the dash trick after work :D

Tim

[quote author=sjpitts link=board=2;threadid=12531;start=msg115013#msg115013 date=1078423770]
I also have the same problem with my center diff lock light. It doesn't go on at all-- even when you are just starting so I assume it is burned out. The front and rear lights work, only this one does not appear to work at all. I assume that this would also be the light? Is this light also hard to replace?

Jared
[/quote]
FYI: my diff lock and center lights do not light up when I start my 93. I don't think they are supposed to.

Here-

3 Tech Forums / 80 and 100 Series Tech / New "cruiser" in the driveway on: February 11, 2004, 09:07 PM
Started by raventai, Message by offroadkid
It's so funny, I read your whole post with a !! Even though it's someone else's new LC, it still make me smile!! My recently purchased 97, 140K, has the whistle, the rough idle, but no leaks, (yet!)

I was the one who replaced the bulbs today. I don't know what the banaba's mean, but it's just about removing screws and some trim pieces. First, I removed the lower kick panel, next the steering column shroud,then the bezel with the mirror switch, and locker switch. There's two screws up at the top of the instrument cluster in the black plastic part. After you remove those, you can pull the bezel with the vents out to access the clister. There's 4 screws that hold it in. Pull it out towards the left of the steering wheel, the right corner is a tight fit to get out. This will give you access to the back of it. There are 4 connectors you need to unplug, then you can slide the cluster out. In the middle of the back, there's the indicator module with 3 clips. Depress these and it will release. On the side of it wits all the bulbs, They twist then pull out.

I don't think it's too difficult, I'm a mechanic, but that's just easy interior trim. HTH

welcome

Jared,

>> even when you are just starting <<

The center diff bulb in the instrument cluster does not illuminate when you turn on the key to start. It only comes on when you either put it in Low range or press the CDL switch if so equipped.

-B-

[quote author=Klunky Chris link=board=2;threadid=12531;start=msg115033#msg115033 date=1078426458]
FYI: my diff lock and center lights do not light up when I start my 93. I don't think they are supposed to.
[/quote]

My diff-lock lights don't stay on, but they do light up for a moment when you start. Mine is a 93 as well. I will have to go home and check to see precisly when they turn on, maybe it is before the key is turned.

The center lock does nothing for me.

Jared

Jared,
The Front and Rear indicator lamps in the instrument cluster illuminate when you turn on the key to start. The Center indicator lamp does not illuminate. This is on my '97 so I'm not sure about other years.

-B-

the Wulf's observation applies to all 80 series Cruisers equipped with OEM differential locks.

D-

my '91's "D" light still illuminates -- I think my truck was ordered with the LED dash-light option --

;)

e

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom