Cylinder Head Storage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just picked up all of the parts from a 90 LC to do a 2FE in my 87. The plan was to figure out all of the wiring over the winter and maybe get started on a teardown... My garage isn't heated or insulated so the temps are going to be the factor, which gets me to my question:

How should I store the Cylinder Head? I've heard that laying it flat on concrete with the intake side up can cause warpage. The temps here (ND) will most likely get down to the -30s or lower and be as high as 40s until spring, so I could see that being an issue. I've read that some people stand them on end, but if you've never held a 3f cylinder head, there's some mass to it, if it fell over it could probably kill a small dog.

Should I hose it with some WD40, throw it in a plastic bag and put it in my basement standing on end (and keep the dogs away from it)?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

I have a 2F head that has been in storage for years oiled down and in a plastic bag. It sits flat. I never even considered the potential for warpage. I guess it is possible but I'd have to see it to believe it. I'm sure it will be fine.

Ok, thanks for the responses.

BTW; @roadstr6; Your picture, you turned the crank and sparks shot all over and you released the bike and I want to say it would jump a ramp that came with it? I'm pretty sure thats the toy my oldest brother got me when I was 6, the sparks scared the hell out of me.

When I used to work in a cylinder head shop, we stored them every which way and never had any problems with warpage. I guess the factor that helped avoid issue is the lack of truly cold temperatures.

yeah give it a pillow, too...

I've stored a clean never-installed cylinder head in my apartment not wrapped or anything. No issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom