Cylinder 5 misfire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am getting a intermittent misfire and am noticing the car stubble and drop rpm a little at idle. A couple weeks back i was doing some wheeling and cylinder 5 misfire check engine code popped up. I cleared it several times during the wheeling trip and hasn't come back on normal mall crawler duty.

I inspected all the coils on the same side and swapped coils to different cylinders to see if the misfire would move to another cylinder. The car has 225k miles on it and a couple of the coils have fine hairline cracks in them but the boots are soft and pliable. Plugs were changed 35k miles ago.

Last night checked on techstream and cylinder 5 is still having misfire events.

So i am thinking I should pull the spark plug and inspect since the misfire didn't move with the coil swap. Any other suggestions?

IMG_20200219_193607[1].jpg
IMG_20200219_193614[1].jpg
IMG_20200219_193912[1].jpg

If swapping coils didn't fix the issue then move on to the spark plug next, then injector, then wiring, compression, then after that ECM.

If swapping coils didn't fix the issue then move on to the spark plug next, then injector, then wiring, compression, then after that ECM.

That's the order I was thinking. Good to know someone else agrees.

Resistance check on the injector and or stethoscope while running?

I'd do a compression test at time of pulling #5 spark plug. You'd be 1/3 the way to the job any way, as number 5 requires pull the fuel line bracket.

I'd do a compression test at time of pulling #5 spark plug. You'd be 1/3 the way to the job any way, as number 5 requires pull the fuel line bracket.

I already tracked down a compression tester from another Mud member just in case. I like your logic and I will grab it before I pull the plug this weekend.

Let's hope that it's just a bad spark plug that fires intermittently, best case scenario.

Let's hope that it's just a bad spark plug that fires intermittently, best case scenario.

On the way home from work misfire was increasing and I decided to just pull the plug. Electrode was very worn and the gap increased to 0.080". I bought these off of Amazon 35k miles ago and I looked back and noticed a bunch of negative reviews saying fake denso.

I needed to get it back running tonight so j just replaced plug 5 and misfire went away. Plugged in techstream and no new misfire events. Looks like all new plugs are in my future.

I am wondering if I got fake Denso plugs..
IMG_20200220_165117.jpg

On the way home from work misfire was increasing and I decided to just pull the plug. Electrode was very worn and the gap increased to 0.080". I bought these off of Amazon 35k miles ago and I looked back and noticed a bunch of negative reviews saying fake denso.

I needed to get it back running tonight so j just replaced plug 5 and misfire went away. Plugged in techstream and no new misfire events. Looks like all new plugs are in my future.

View attachment 2217215

good to hear!

always buy from auto parts store, dealer, trusted source

never ebay amazon, too many fakes out there.

[

View attachment 2217215
Good news, good job tracking down!

Just looking at gap, it looks wide. Very important to check gap pre install (don't re-gap used plugs). Wide gap pulls more volts from coil, and thus overheats coils. I found Toyota Denso gaps, spot-on out of box. Japan Denso spot on out of box. USA assembled Denso 1 in 4 need gaping and electrode aligned.

I had more bootleg sparks from ebay then anywhere else. I like buying the TT plugs. They've the .04mm. I don't thing those can be bootlegged. I've had bootleg TT's and it is very obvious to me they're not .04mm.

These ebay sellers of bootleg, give money back fast. They do not want anyone rattle ebays cage.

Likely fake... Notify Denso, there is another thread that talks about their active movement to deal with this issue out of china.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom