Cygnus white? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Back in 2003 I had my cruiser painted, I told my paint guy that I wanted Cygnus white for the bezel and roof. Then last week I take my dads bezel and roof to the same paint guy and tell him I want the same color as mine. He remembered it was T-012. So which one is actually the right color or is neither one correct?
image-2191521077.jpg

On my screen the lower one looks right.

the lower one looks ever so slightly darker on my screen - both look rather beige to me, but that could be lighting and background

edwjmcgrath if your body is Cygnus what is your bezel and roof cap.

Every paint manufacturer will have a slightly different version of the same color. IE if you buy Cygnus white say from BASF in a single stage urethane, it won't match up perfectly to a DuPont. It's just how it goes.

I guess the best is to know exactly which paint Toyota used. Even then, with the newer regulations on paints, the formulation will have changed, which will most probably affect the color.

edwjmcgrath if your body is Cygnus what is your bezel and roof cap.

Bezel is Rustoleum Rattle Can White. I never touched the roof but it's pretty close to RRCW. :D

I bought a few cans of rattle can cygnus white from cruiser corps to do some interior painting and it's almost a perfect match to the body color.

Back in 2003 I had my cruiser painted, I told my paint guy that I wanted Cygnus white for the bezel and roof. Then last week I take my dads bezel and roof to the same paint guy and tell him I want the same color as mine. He remembered it was T-012. So which one is actually the right color or is neither one correct?

I think if you posted a picture with the bezels on a contrasting (or at least something not in the same color palette) background we could probably get a better idea.

Every paint manufacturer will have a slightly different version of the same color. IE if you buy Cygnus white say from BASF in a single stage urethane, it won't match up perfectly to a DuPont. It's just how it goes.

I guess the best is to know exactly which paint Toyota used. Even then, with the newer regulations on paints, the formulation will have changed, which will most probably affect the color.

Exactly right.

Even the same paint manufacturer will be continually varying their mixing codes (due, I assume, to changes in their base pigments).

So if you're really fussy and want an exact shade of a particular colour (or want to paint just one section to match nearby paint), the only way is to take in a sample and have the paint shop mix your paint to match it. (And that work is time-consuming because they must match the dried paint colours.)

:beer:

The top bezel is the one that I had painted 10 years ago. I can't take anymore pictures comparing them because the darker one has been taken back to the paint guy. We decided to go with a brighter color to be more contrasting with the tan color of the cruiser.

Mine is the same as @edwjmcgrath - body is repainted, but the new PPG paint was mixed to T012/Cygnus, and it matched the original paint. My bezel and top are also intentionally incorrect - they're a bright white to offset all the Cygnus, but it does give you a bit of a context/comparison as well.

Cygnus is strange to tell if its right without something to judge against - with the typical FJ colors, it looks just a bit off white...but next to actual white, it's pretty tan.

cyg.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 1.12.58 PM.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom