1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cycled to work

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by stinkyfj60, Aug 28, 2006.

1. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

3 miles in, 3miles home to lunch, 3mi back... now waiting to go home. Man it felt good, and it drops the gas $$ quite a bit.

2. macneill

macneill Rollin’ on 33s

Nice. That's a good ride. Is that gonna be every day now? :grinpimp:

3. Mr.Bryan

Mr.Bryan

sweet! I started doing that here at school. I throw a back pack on and run all my errands and just throw stuff in the pack. My truck sits for weeks at a time now, but I sure don't spend much on gas... until I have to drive home.

4. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

Yep, cause I just moved to 1 1/2hr lunches which is the only way i could get home and back and still eat lunch. I just has my salad already made and waiting....

5. tcb

tcb

Media:
    Albums:
    I've been considering giving this a go... I'm 9 miles one way though... and I sweat like a whore in church (no showers at the office). I'm definitely going to give it a go this fall for the hell of it. I don't think I could make a habit out of it though.

6. QuietMike

QuietMike

I'm a fair weather bike commuter myself... a little over 6 miles one-way. It's pretty nice in the spring and fall once the weather is right. I recommend the Timbuk2 commuter bags and a nearby gym with showers.

7. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

The coolest thing? I didnt experience that mid-afternoon slump in energy. Didnt realize it until I was on the way home :D

8. Diescipel

Diescipel

Word. People at work look at me funny cuz I run around like a bat on acid.

I am currently doing 24 mi roundtrip Mon-Wed.-Fri. And I even get 20+ mpg and burn BioDiesel.

My philosophy is if you do it just once it's a good thing for your health (mental and physical), for nature, for national indepedence on foreign energy, for traffic, for your wallet... etc. You don't have to be some hardcore extremist to make it worthwhile. I like the 60%/40% routine because it gives me a day of rest and I never get burnt out.

B

9. mot

mot

I've been riding to work (25k round trip) a couple of times a week and also doing longer rides maybe once a week.

Now that I've got my old bike from college it's even more fun! (Thanks btw to those who have offered their input on how to pack it).

Keep it up guys!

Mot

10. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

I've been bike commuting for 18 years. My current route is 14 miles each way, and most of it bike path along the river. I see more wildlife every day then most of my collegues see in 6 months. Until about 5 years ago I would ride rain or shine, but now on the winter rain days I drive one of my Cruisers. It gets tough in mid winter when I leave home in the dark, and finish my ride home in the dark, but otherwise, it's the best part of my day. Having great shower facilities at work really helps.

Stay with it Stinky. The first time you do it in the rain, on purpose, you'll know you're "core". Bike commuting will change your entire perspective, for instance, even though I'm a car nut, every time I pass lines of pathetic idling commute traffic, I think "loosers".

Have you had to change a flat while commuting yet? I get one every few months.

11. OZCAL

OZCAL

Isn't there a 7-eleven near work for a quick burrito and 400 oz coke? You wouldn't get so sweaty on the lunch hour.

:flipoff2:

Good job Stinky. :beer:

12. stanley

stanley

should this be in OT Tech

13. Diescipel

Diescipel

Yes on the wildlife. And other things. You see so much more on a bike, not always good. For example you probably have no idea how much trash people throw out of their cars until you cycle on the freeway.

I also agree winter can get tough, for both the weather and the light. But I saw the most amazing moonset last winter that I never would have seen if I didn't have to leave 45 mins earlier etc.

My ride right now is not that scenic. Little bit of the ocean, some nice valley views, pastoral stuff in the Arcata Bottoms, but most of it is on a freeway where the rock crushing companies are running constant trucks to harvest the gravel on the river bars before their permits expire. I envy folks who live in more developed areas with bike paths etc.

I've had great bike commutes though in the Santa Cruz mountains, San Francisco to Kentfield/Marin via the Presidio, Golden Gate Bridge, Sausalito, Mill Valley, and my ride last winter on Scenic Drive between Trinidad and Little River/Crannel here in Humboldt was one of the greatest ever.

BTW I'm told you can still get a DUI on a bike, but at least you are most likely not going to kill somebody else who's innocent.

B

14. cruzer

cruzer

I wish I lived close enough to bike comute (38miles one way is a bit much) but we ride at lunch about 15-20miles depending on the route...sometimes we have 15-20 folks riding. Gotta love it!!

Stew

15. tcb

tcb

Media:
    Albums:
    What type of bike do you guys ride to work? My new bike is a mountain bike, I think it would be a lot of work .... um....to get to work. My brother has an old TREK touring bike (not quite a road bike, but not quite a mountain bike either) that I may try to get back up to Memphis this weekend to see if I can get it workable for commuting... plus I am paranoid about my new rig getting lifted.

16. PHBeerman

PHBeerman

I started riding to work this spring due to the fact that I felt like a lazy ass driving the 1.5 miles each way. Now I feel like crap if I drive.

17. scottm

scottm

Media:
    Albums:
    I've commuted off-n-on for decades. I ride about 9.5-10 each way, every day it isn't raining (much), summer and winter. I'm so used to it I feel uncomfortable driving. Studded tires rule in the winter. And I sure enjoy filling my face more than filling the 80! I'm looking to upgrade my lights, fighting my cheapskate nature.

My Epic is a dream for commuting, the rear shock (Brain Fade) locks out on flats for pedalling, opens up when I hit a bump. The '05 Brain was unacceptably harsh, I've heard the '07 is quite a bit better than my '06. Looking forward to disk brakes this winter.

18. Mr. Toad

Mr. Toad

Media:
    Albums:
    Wow. Isn't that kind of hippie for you?

:flipoff2:

19. mot

mot

This is my new (old) ride.

Before bringint it back I was riding my sister's moutain bike.
    I had full-blown mountain bike tires on it first, then went to somewhat slick with the same width. That made a difference in the speed I was able to carry.

Then I switched from 1.95 to 1.5 inches with almost slick tread pattern and WOW what a difference! I need to swap the tires so I can have them on my Paramount. I like the gear ratios of the Paramount better than my sister's POS Scott's.

So if you changed your tires, that should make it a lot more enjoyable.

Good luck!

Mot

20. tcb

tcb

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, but then I'd get to spend an ass load of time swapping tires back and forth because I hit the trails quite frequently... I've been kicking around the idea of picking up an extra wheelset, but don't really want to drop the $200 to do it.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">