CV's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Doing a SOA on my 72' 40 . Word around the camp fire is to swap the upper u-joind for a mini truck CV. Any u gurus done this. If so, what do I need to do the swap. :beer: :beer:

If you want maximum working angle get a front CV shaft from a solid axle 84 or 85 minitruck or 4Runner. The IFS (later than 85) CVs do not have as much working angle. You pair this with the non CV end of a IFS driveshaft which have more angle than the solid axle ones and you have the greatest working angle of any stock Toyota shaft. This is the setup I run.

You will need to address your flanges to make it work. For mine I had to enlarge the holes on the CV side and on the diff end I used a pinion flange drilled for all the Toyota patterns and the IFS end bolted right on.
ds.jpg

Last edited:
I tried an SOA briefly on my 40 back in the mid 90's. Ran a CV for the rear, but did not find it necessary for the front.

BTW, John Smith, is it an optical illusion, or is your pinion turned up slightly higher than your driveshaft? :confused:

65swb45 said:
BTW, John Smith, is it an optical illusion, or is your pinion turned up slightly higher than your driveshaft? :confused:

I was wondering the same. Looks turned up.

65swb45 said:

You have a keen eye. It is pointed one degree up. When I mocked it up under the truck it was dead on and then I guess the springs settled and now it is a degree high. I have not noticed any problems so I have not shimmed it down.

I also am not running a CV on the front but that is because with the ToyBox I have an abundance of front driveshaft now, but not much rear as you can see.

i did the same thing...i've got an 83 fourskinner shaft on the rear of my 40...no cv in front though...not needed.

outstanding there gents, and thanx for the pic there J.S

Zact same thing I ran into on my driveshaft! Same exact setup.. Same shaft I"m running! Funny.. Looked at that picture and thought it was my driveshaft! And mine's pointed up a hair as well.. When it's flexed or loaded it rotates a bit more to dead on tho.. Now I know what it's off of! thanks! I had no idea, just had it lying around and it fit.. Thanks! EC

In any event, getting back to the original ? a CV from an 81-84fj60 will have more range of motion than any of the stock mini truck ones IMO. Doesn't hurt that it has a matching bolt pattern for the 74 and newer pinion and t/c flanges either. ;)

Would the '84-'85 Mini Truck CV front with IFS diff end OR '81-'84 FJ60 CV work on the rear of a '77 40 with a rear spring flip, SUA and 4in of lift? I guess the question should be are the above mentioned shafts long enough?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom