CVJ Axle Info (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am looking at purchasing rebuilt CVJ axles for the LX as one of the boots was torn when I bought it and I have no idea how long its been like that. Its got 153K on it so I figure (2) rebuilt axles wouldn't be a bad idea. Below is the pricing and options I received from CVJ. I am thinking about just doing the OEM Toyota boots as I am not going to go any higher than an 2.5" lift, but what do you guys think?

Hi Evan,

Thank you for contacting us regarding front axles for your 2000 LX470. I have included the info you have requested below as well as info on our optional upgrades that are popular with many of our customers that have lifted vehicles.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

We can build one or a pair of CVJ Remanufactured CV Axles with two days notice (we have all the parts, but not finished axles on the shelf). CVJ part number 9534.
These axles have aftermarket neoprene boots. They are fully assembled and are ready to install. There are some boot upgrades listed below.
Your cost is $119.00 each plus a core deposit of $95.00 each. Plus freight (ground shipping) which is about $45.00 or less for two in the US - it varies by zip code.

The core deposit of $95.00 is refunded when you return the core. These are critical cores and should be returned within 30 days for full credit.
The core must be the same original Toyota axle. Aftermarket axles cannot be rebuilt and are poor to begin with.

These are original manufacturer axles that have been completely Remanufactured by us using some aftermarket parts and neoprene boots.
You get OEM steel and design where it counts at a much better price than new, with CVJ reliability.

The axles have a limited lifetime warranty. When used for offroad or in lifted trucks we cannot warrant the axles.

Qty
Part No. Description Unit $ Sub Tot Totals comment

2 9534 CVJ Remanufactured OEM CV Axles 119.00 238.00
1 Ship & Handle Ground Shipping- 48 states 45.00 45.00 283.00
2 C9534 Critical Core Deposit 95.00 190.00 473.00 Grand Total with cores

BOOT UPGRADES if you are interested.

Option 1 - Outer Boot - OEM boot for CV joint (wheel side) - $60.00 each additional. This boot gets your axles closest to OEM - longest lasting CV boot. This is an Original OEM Toyota plastic boot & clamps installed on the above axle we build for you. This boot is the longest lasting because it is made of Hytrel plastic which is tougher, more abrasion resistant and more chemical resistant than the aftermarket Neoprene boots. Being hard plastic it does not seal as well as Neoprene, which can be an issue at high angles. (Usually good up to 2 1/2" lift)
There is no warranty on these boots.

Every lift kit is different, each individual uses their truck differently, etc. So, while it is is hard to make specific recommendations here is another boot options that many Toyota truck owners have found valuable:

Option 2- Inner Boot Higher Angle (diff side) - $42.95 each . We also offer a red silicone boots for the Inner joints. These are $42.95 each installed on axles we build for you. (It takes two days)
Many offroaders prefer these for higher angles saying they last longer.
Each lift kit is different. These can help if your inner boots are rubbing on themselves or have longer travel. With the red boot there are a lot more convolutions (ribs) so they can be stretched out so they don't rub or don't rub as much. Also the silicone handles abrasion better than neoprene.
These won't be much help with severe angles.
{We have heard of a couple reports of suspension combinations that do not provide adequate clearance for this boot}. As a rule of thumb you will need an extra inch of clearance from the existing boot (radially & along the shaft). Please check the clearance before ordering.
There is no warranty on these boots.

Option 2a - Some offroaders use the red silicone boots (above) on the outer CV joints (wheel side).

While these boots will help with most lifts, they are not silver bullets and cannot be expected to last as long as a stock truck.

Please give us a call if you are ready to place an order.

We accept Visa and MasterCard.

How did you hear about us?
Thanks for your inquiry, I hope we can be of service to you.

Why CVJ remanufactured?
Original Toyota are much stronger and better designed than Asian aftermarket (auto parts store, some dealerships), but they are expensive.
CVJ properly and completely remanufactures only Original Toyota axle cores. OEM steel and design where it counts, with CVJ reliability at a much better price.

CVJ Axles - OEM strength & design + CVJ attention to detail - CVJ Steering Racks

Remember when buyer a rebuild DS, your getting someones' that failed. It's luck of the draw as to condition of axle teeth and snap ring groove.

First choice, would be to reboot yours. If you don't see a lot of grease slug around wheel-well they may be good. If bad you'd most-likely hear clicking as you drive. Inspect by hand also for serviceability by the book (FSM).

Second choice, is new OEM front drive shafts (DS) match with new hub flange & cone washers.

Third choice, would be to send in your DS and have them rebuilt with OEM boot kit. This is best if you have good to very good axle teeth and snap ring groove on them.

Forth, just take what you get from CVJ.

Note: IIRC @abuck99 for one, felt our aged DS just won't holdup after a lift. New OEM are so nice, you'd love them.

Detroit Axle has remans, built on OEM cores (I called and checked, that is all they use for LCs), for $75 including shipping. I got one waiting to be installed, looks like a nice unit.

Note: IIRC @abuck99 for one, felt our aged DS just won't holdup after a lift. New OEM are so nice, you'd love them.

Yep- You got to budget for CV axles if you're buying a high mile 100 series to build/lift it. I think its been widely discussed/experienced on the forum that after lifting a stock high mileage rig that the CV Axles begin to complain not long after lifting(depends on how much your wheel). Often starts with leaking boots, then vibes, then clicking. When boots start leaking they are giving the early warning signs that they're ready to be replaced. My truck had good (original) CV's at 165k miles when I lifted it. They started leaking with in 1,000 miles of the lift (no diff drop at that point) which I then used McMaster Carr clamps on. Boots subsequently tore with in 2,000 miles and I rebooted with OEM kit. While I took great care during disassembly and match marked all components, one or both CV's produced some minor vibrations. I also noted some "remarkable" play in the outer driver side axle which is not serviceable. So back in late August I bit the bullet and ordered two new OEM CV Axles. All I can say is what a difference new OEM CV's make to drivability on a high mile rig.

As for buying rebuilt CV's or Re-booting yours vs. Brand new OEM: I dont really see much of an advantage to buying rebuilt axles vs rebooting your own, unless someone simply doesn't have the wherewithal to disassemble, inspect and reboot their own. Down time removing, sending out-rebuilding and returning is incentive enough to do on your own re-boot. The OEM boots are proven to have superior longevity and chances are that the axle you're removing is better than the axle your getting in terms of wear. As @2001LC said its a luck of the draw. And if you look a the true cost of rebuilt, with shipping, core charge and return shipping etc.- you're only saving about $150 per CV over brand new OEM. So wasting all that time and effort to save a few hundred dollars compared to buying new axles doesn't make sense me.

First of all - Thanks for the responses!

I keep going back and forth on the rebuilt vs new axles. Where are you guys seeing the best price for a new OEM axle? Toyotapartsnow.com has them for $375/ea but they want $270 to ship them putting the total with tax at $1078.34. That's quite a bit more than the CVJ. I haven't checked at the stealership yet, but guessing they will charge an arm and a leg too. I have read several people on here having good luck with CVJ. I would rebuild the axle myself, but as I just bought the vehicle, I am not sure how many miles have been driven on the it without grease in the boot. The grease has all come out. It's not clicking but for me, I would rather replace it as it may have been like this for 30K mi. (PPI inspection missed this...:bang:)

Has anyone has bad luck with the CVJ axles? Does not appear to be just a re-grease and reboot on the axle.

CVJ Axles.JPG

Since your in Cali id try Camelback- price will be slightly higher than what you posted but free shipping.

McGeorge on the east coadt is excellent- you migjt check shipping- guessing $35 per CV

CVJ only remans OEM shafts. Their customer service, speed and shipping have been great.

I was recently faced with same dilemma. Since the truck was new to me and I was (am) in the middle of baseline work, I went with new OEM hoping they’ll last several years. I hope to add a lift soon before the boots get used to the stock angle.

Since your in Cali id try Camelback- price will be slightly higher than what you posted but free shipping.

McGeorge on the east coadt is excellent- you migjt check shipping- guessing $35 per CV

I also priced out McGeorge and Camelback and in the end I think I ordered from Camelback but I’m not sure and too lazy to check. I also was buying other stuff as well. I think I paid about $750 for the pair, shipped. I live in Oregon.

I’m wondering now if CVJ will take my cores even though I didn’t buy from them? I guess I’ll give them a call...

I'm glad you posted this, I forgot the company name. I bought the Red Silicone boots last September for my lifted 4runner. Had them installed and just replaced them last week, the driver's side already split and sprayed grease everywhere. I haven't even wheeled my Runner, just back and forth to work on surface streets. Guy at the shop said that the OEM boots are the best if installed correctly.

Not bashing CVJ, just telling my story.

Last edited:
Well I went ahead and ordered a new axle, the cost difference of $125 an axle wasn't enough for me to go rebuilt. I am ordering one new and plan on rebuilding my non-compromised axle in the future. If it ends up showing signs of wear, I will order another new axle. Thanks for the suggestions on where to order the parts everyone!

I'm glad you posted this, I forgot the company name. I bought the Red Silicone boots last September for my lifted 4runner. Had them installed and just replaced them last week, the driver's side already split and sprayed grease everywhere. I haven't even wheeled my Runner, just back and forth to work on surface streets. Guy at the shop said that the OEM boots are the best if installed correctly.

Not bashing CVJ, just telling my story.

That's funny, because the exact thing happened to me after looking under my truck the other day.My drivers side split and I literally drove on a dirt road. I've emailed them, and they offered a replacement, but I have to pay shipment back and forth. Seems like it would be better to buy from Detroit Axle. Curious what they say next. I'm surprised an aftermarket "stronger" boot would just split on a stock truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom