CV Joint Tulip Snap Ring Circlip removal trick (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
While i am wrestling around with that skinny azz snap ring... Do you guys have a favorite tool for this? Itz kinda a Sum Batch to get out of there?

OK, returning to this thread to sew it up!

Got that little rascal out.

On this job(CV rebuild), it is very hard to do this without a vise. It's greasy, by it's very design it wants to roll and wobble all over the place. You need 4 hands or 2 hands and a vise.

Chucked it up in a brass jawed vise and pulled out two tiny bladed Long Wera screwdrivers with those gripping blades. Was able to get under it a bit like the screwdriver was a flat awl. Then used another tiny screwdriver to get under the lifted part. Came out easy.

My circlip pliers were useless. Probably got 15 of them. The Landcruiser has rendered them all useless. Toyota's biggest market may be in SST's :p

Thanx for the replies folks!

I did a full thread on insalling the inner tulip into CV axle assembly. That big C-clip was a pain but soon realized, we got to push it in and then lift it with a pick.

I did a full thread on insalling the inner tulip into CV axle assembly. That big C-clip was a pain but soon realized, we got to push it in and then lift it with a pick.
So what you guys are saying, when I get to this point in my rebuild... I want to basically push the ring onto the splines from the end of the axle to the point where it hits the end of the spline just before the groove it sits in. From there use a small screwdriver to work it over the lip from the splines to the groove? Is that right?

So what you guys are saying, when I get to this point in my rebuild... I want to basically push the ring onto the splines from the end of the axle to the point where it hits the end of the spline just before the groove it sits in. From there use a small screwdriver to work it over the lip from the splines to the groove? Is that right?
It is really easy, You'll figure out when you are there. That clip is not like any other C-clip we've seen. Generally, we try to pry it and pull towards us, instead, for this C-clip we simply have to push it out of its grove towards the inside of the tulip and then insert a pick or smal flat screwdriver to lift it out.

You're talking about a different circlip.

This one is about 4" across and is on the inside rim of the Tulip. Toyota is a world class artist of PITA circlips. I've never enjoyed circlips for my 60 plus years on earth. But the circlips on this car are in another class altogether in PITA factor.

I still have to do my other axle tomorrow. So I'll try the technique above. I did actually end up with it going inside the Tulip as stated above. But the impetus was getting under the end like an Awl would just enough to work another screwdriver up under the edge I had lifted. It is really a precise fit into that groove. I had to use a tiny thin long screwdriver, two of them. It went fairly fast after that. Short screwdriver and not holding still was "No Bueno" as we say in the US of A...

Vise plus 2 awesome screwdrivers made short work out of it. My screwdriver drawer suggests I am obsessive compulsive. I'm not, but I got this hardon for screwdrivers and it paid off this time.

Is the term "tulip" referring to the inner axle rubber boot? If not, what is a tulip?
Tulip is referring to the inner or outer most joint. So for instance if you grabbed the inner axle shaft, the CUP part where the balls are located with the race and whatnot is considered the TULIP.

Greg, Thanks for clarifying for a new guy. Is this also called the knuckle? Are the terms kinda interchangeable?
Not really interchangeable as the part normally referred to as the "Knuckle" is seen on a solid axle solution vs. our IFS (independent front suspension) solution. So the knuckle is present on the FJ40/FJ50/FJ60/FJ62/FJ80/FZJ80 and then in other parts of the world on the 90 series and 105 series.

Is the term "tulip" referring to the inner axle rubber boot? If not, what is a tulip?

Tulip is that big black metal portion on the ends that the bellows attach to. Mainly a cup for the grease and the joints inside. Very strange and confusing when you start this. I would say it looks like a Tulip. But if you've been to Holland that would be even more confusing.

Appreciate the education. I have just submitted an order to LaGrange Toyota OEM Parts for the OEM components to change the CV Axles and to replace and pack the front bearings. I appreciate these IH8MUD threads and particularly the enthusiasts who are so kind to share their knowledge and experience and patience with the new guys.

Appreciate the education. I have just submitted an order to LaGrange Toyota OEM Parts for the OEM components to change the CV Axles and to replace and pack the front bearings. I appreciate these IH8MUD threads and particularly the enthusiasts who are so kind to share their knowledge and experience and patience with the new guys.
Look into your local Clubhouse section to meet other members in your area. Always good people out there and hard to pass up beers and Cruiser talk.
As for the parts, lots can be purchased through the multiple Toyota websites, however, don't forget out about small vendors. In the main page where all sections are there is a Vendor Marketplace. Many of these guys support us with not only aftermarket solutions, but also sell kits that have lots of things you need. These guys are a HUGE WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE when it comes to our rigs, and openly share and participate here. So try to support them wherever possible!

I have enjoyed a build process that includes help from SLEE (full armor skid plates, Diff Drop Kit, Dual Battery Tray), MetalTech4x4 rock sliders. Dobinson lift components. I have attended Hundreds in the Hills 2018 and met several of the vendor sponsors there and at Cruise Moab 2019. Was registered for the Cruise Moab 2020 and hope it spins back up this fall. I have visited the Cool Cruisers and Cruiser Corps shops. Made some mistakes but enjoyed the hunt. Will check out the local clubs. Great advice. I found out about these guys through the forums and events. I won a Tembo Tusk grill at Moab 2019. Ordered some Wit's End gear. I was able to meet vendors and investigate their products through MUD. Looking forward to meeting more travelers on the journey. Appreciate the help. Now let's go out there and break some stuff so we can upgrade.

C8768E43-9213-437F-80CF-A48225DF1AE9.jpeg

Works very well for me c/o @flintknapper ’s recommendation 👍🏻 Works great both for the cv circlip and ball joint circlip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom