CV Joint - Reboot or replace? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All

I'm trying to get my LX470 over the pits and its been pulled up on a busted CV Boot.
The mechanic who inspected reckons that rather than reboot, just replace the whole cv assembly due to the work getting in there.

Its a huge difference in parts costs and there is no sign that the CV is bad although the Vehicle does have 400,000km plus on it.

What do you think?

If it's the factory CV just boot it and call it good. Make sure you take it apart and clean it.

If I'm replacing CV Axles, would I want to spend the extra $$ to buy new flanges and related hardware to help mitigate driveline F-N-R clunk?

If I'm replacing CV Axles, would I want to spend the extra $$ to buy new flanges and related hardware to help mitigate driveline F-N-R clunk?
In my world, YES!

FSM has an inspection procedure. In addition too, I consider outer axle splines and snap ring groove. A 400,000 Km would likely fail inspection. Fail replace! Pass reboot!

The mechanic makes more money (labor) rebooting. So His recommendation would seem to be, in your best interest!

FDS 04LC 210K bad axle snap ring goove DS.JPG

Boot front drive shaft.JPG

FSM has an inspection procedure. In addition too, I consider outer axle splines and snap ring groove. A 400,000 Km would likely fail inspection. Fail replace! Pass reboot!

The mechanic makes more money (labor) rebooting. So His recommendation would seem to be, in your best interest!

View attachment 3245342
View attachment 3245340
Thanks, great info.

I'll be doing it myself and I think I'll just replace and be done with it. I'm planning to keep it and get it driving nice and tight so I feel its worth putting in the money

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom