CV joint problems? bad birfields? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
new to this toyota stuff and wondered if you all could help with this. probably pretty simple, hopefully inexpensive too...

when i test drove it the front end sounded fine in 2wd. when i put it in 4wd and turned a tight circle there was a rythmic clicking in the front end turning either direction. as soon as you went back to 2wd it was gone.

i've been told this is worn birfields that need replacing. if so is this a fairly simple fix without too many "special" tools. i'm fine swapping motors/trannies/etc... just never really delved into gears/bearings/etc... the precision stuff. i'm a farmer type that is comfortable with a welder in hand, not a micrometer.

thanks,
mike

Um...welcome...

How about sharing with us the year, type and generally some more specific information on the vehicle...

Helps a lot when trying to figure things out for people over the internet..

Thanks!!

Good luck!

-Steve

sorry about that, i deal so much with the rig that i think everyone must know what it is.

anyway, 1986 fj60 with 186k miles. completely stock. 2f/h42 coming out for a 13bt/h55f replacement.

-thanks,
mike.

Could be the Fing birfields...I would verify that it is not a brake pad hanging up or something else causing this noise. Are the back sides of the knuckles greasy, as in grease and oil is weeping out, or are they dry and rusty?

-Steve

it doesn't look like the brakes are hanging up anywhere. the backside of the knuckles is slightly rusty with little bits of oily/greasy leakage as well. there is oil/dirt combo caked around the knuckles and on the knuckle arms/tie rod ends.

thanks for the help,
mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom