cv driveshaft rebuild... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woody

Staff member
Admin
Threads
needing parts for a front CV shaft from a 1984-5 mini...

u-joints are Koyo KC1720AD joints, but what is the p/n for the CV-bearing in the middle? or at least the seal?

(I can cross the 1720's to stuff from AZ or wherever...)

correct....that shows everything other than the seal that protects the ball/roller bearing inside the CV itself

....and which according to CDan, is unobtanium....
100_0156.jpg

My FSM says "Inspect DC joint for wear or damage, if an problem is found, replace the front propeller shaft assembly"

Probably why the part is not available.... So you probably need to find a good used shaft huh? Does it have to be 84-5, and just where are you right now? :D

I'm home :)

actually, the bearing/etc is fine, just need the seal.....and this one is 'reusuable' if it must be, but would prefer not....

HOWEVER: I have another shaft laying here...should be able to have a replacement AND a spare built....

the shaft is stock length for the 84-85 front axle....course, I have one that's twisted in half and a 2nd that's longer than stock, so neither do me any good for measuring....

AND, given my 700R isn't back yet and I discovered the D300 is cracked and needs the case replaced (and perhaps more), my 'rush' status is disappearing quickly....was pushing to leave Sunday for CA for the KOH race, but it's looking more and more like my breakage list is gonna prevent that....

BTW: what IS the flange-to-flange stock working length of a 84-85 stock mini front d-shaft? IIRC, it's 26-3/4", but not positive....

I can get 'remans' from AutoZone or wherever easy enuf....a 'mere' $400...uugh....lol

given all the breakage, i should 'measure' it to be sure my working length is correct....gona be custom tubed anyways, may as well get it right....

seal appears as normal as any seal....will try NAPA tomorrow and see if I get lucky....shafts aren't getting built until Wed/Thurs nite anyways...if that soon....

given all the breakage....

If my sig wasn't full already.... Hehehe :D

What rig is this on? And if it's a wheeler, why not go to a square shaft, and eliminate the DC all at once? Or are you running a pretty big angle?

this is the rear shaft on my FJ40, so it needs to be 'close enuf' to be balanced....and the rear pinion is set up for a CV, not for a normal shaft....

Here you go!

http://www.rockforddriveline.com/toyota.pdf

They're even close to you! :cheers:

Edit, I'm not going to my dads today, so no measurement yet...

Cool link, I'll be bookmarking that!

Also, that seal should be a # such as 38 25 8. Which is the OD, ID, and width. Based on those numbers, my local hydraulic supply shop can cross it with a national part # 95% of the time.

I'll be at the shop in about 4 hours. If you need any measurements, give me a call. I'll also be making driveshafts later this week out of .200 wall tubing. Let me know if you need me to make an extra one and bring it to KOH.

Precision to Rockford

important cross reference page....

the 407-10 u-joint in the CV portion of the driveshaft is 'unlisted'....according to this page, it's a Precision 513

Precision 387 is what's used in the 'other' areas of the driveshaft (non-double-cardan portions)

the 513 joint lasted about 24 hours....

fortunately, Marlin was there to custom-clearance an OEM one for me and JK welded up a new shaft....the busted joint demolished the entire CV assembly...

ah well...live and learn....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom