CV / Drive Flange play - Risky? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Pretty certain my drive flange has a lot of play. I'll confirm by popping the cap off, but I rotate the CV by hand more than I'd like to, I get the R to D thunk, and there is also some sideways play as well. I've got some drive flanges ordered, and will most likely go with Napa's CV's.

But how long can I go meanwhile driving like this? Ironically, the passenger side CV was replaced by PO about a year ago, and although the boot is fine, the play is the same as the drivers side CV which looks original. This is why I believe the play is coming from the flange and not CV. Although over time, it doesn't matter where the play is, it will wear both ends.

I know if the flange was to destroy on a long trip, I could lock the center diff and it'll be RWD. Is this safe to do if I'm 3000 miles away from home?

Time to replace! I made it 2,000 miles before mine stripped. Full disclosure, i bought the truck with this issue so no idea how long P.O. had driven like this.

Well I'm in the same boat, bought it from prior owner in this condition. Thought because CV was replaced, car would be in better shape. Word for those buying. Just because paperwork shows works been done, doesn't mean it's been done at a good quality level.

Well I'm in the same boat, bought it from prior owner in this condition. Thought because CV was replaced, car would be in better shape. Word for those buying. Just because paperwork shows works been done, doesn't mean it's been done at a good quality level.
Haha. I know at least 2 more people with the same exact issue @gregnash and me. We also bought trucks where PO put new aftermarket axles but not flanges. Same deal..

Haha. I know at least 2 more people with the same exact issue @gregnash and me. We also bought trucks where PO put new aftermarket axles but not flanges. Same deal..

In you guys case, how long did you drive with them like this? I'm getting parts together right now, but next weekend I had a 1500 mile round trip planned and I'm not sure whether it's worth the risk or not. I may get the parts before but don't want to rush a job for the trip. I like giving the truck shakedown before any long trip.

In you guys case, how long did you drive with them like this? I'm getting parts together right now, but next weekend I had a 1500 mile round trip planned and I'm not sure whether it's worth the risk or not. I may get the parts before but don't want to rush a job for the trip. I like giving the truck shakedown before any long trip.
I drove for ~10k so far, hadn't fixed it yet but yes, it's a play in flanges confirmed. TBH - I think people drive like this for 10s of thousands of miles just fine. But you never know. So, no one going to tell you when it will break :)

Yeah, totally get it. I feel like one day when I shift from R to D, it's just gonna grind that last bit of metal away and chew itself. Would rather not do that and salvage the two CV's that are in it.

Seems like a little bit of a poor design from toyota to be honest...

Mine was actually two things... play in the flanges and s***ty cheapo (Sur-Track from Autozone) axles. I ended up driving about 5k miles on them before I replaced. But I went at it full bore and replaced everything but bearings, which luckily ended up fine, with OEM stuff.
Was able to get some new OE outers and used inners and then rebuilt the axles myself :)banana: job really). I had a bad vibration that started at about 55mph up to about 70mph and that was because of the cheap tri-pod style, not 6-ball RZeppa style like OE, axles.

Do yourself a favor and rebuild the one OEM with new OEM stuff, well worth the longevity and cost. Then see about getting a new OEM on the other side if it is now. There are guys here who have used the NAPAs and are fine with them but in the long run you will likely be better off.

Reactions: MJK
Quick question, I've heard swapping the drive flanges round can buy me some more time, is it worth it? I'm waiting on parts to arrive and have one long trip planned. It won't take long to swap them round, but I'm wondering if I'm gonna cause more harm than good? Thoughts?

Quick question, I've heard swapping the drive flanges round can buy me some more time, is it worth it? I'm waiting on parts to arrive and have one long trip planned. It won't take long to swap them round, but I'm wondering if I'm gonna cause more harm than good? Thoughts?

There is a gasket behind them that is needed so I would say leave them unless you have spare gaskets. They rip easily as they are likely stuck to the flange. From there I would say just leave them and wheel carefully if you do. I rode mine out for almost 5k miles before I did the swap (date purchased vs. installed) and I know the PO had been driving it like that (what little he drove it) for at least a year maybe two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom