CV Boots leak and front differential leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A little bit background here: recently bought a 1999 LX470 with 120K miles :), it only had been driven occasionally for the past 10 years according to the previous owner. Not too much maintenance records, only oil change and alignment.

The steering feels loose at highway speed so I decided to get under the vehicle to check, just to found out these :(:

IMG_20170630_184547.jpg

IMG_20170630_185059.jpg
IMG_20170630_185125_1.jpg
IMG_20170630_182911.jpg
IMG_20170630_185528.jpg

I can see yellow fluid (not sure if it is front diff fluid) under the front diff as shown in the second picture. The CV boots also look like leaking grease badly.

My questions are
1. Am I correct about the CV boots leak and diff leak?
2. If so how can I fix them? Replacing the whole CV axle?
3. Re-seal the font diff? Or upgrade the front axle since it's a 99, I heard people said 98 and 99 has a weak front axle.
4. Is there anything else I didn't see here?:frown:
I am totally new to this, any thoughts will be appreciated.

I would start by changing all the driveline fluids using Valvoline MaxLife as it has seal conditioners in it.
Seals dry out, when they dry out they shrink. The oil keeps them swollen, if it is not driven much they will not be wet enough long enough, this speeds up the drying out and shrinkage.
Then degrease the underside and wait and see.

As for the CV's, you have two options, re-boot, or re-seal.
You can buy replacement boots and grease.
You can replace the clamps that hold the CV's shut, assuming they are not torn or cracked from dry rot.
I would not replace the CV's un less I had to.

I'm not a fan of aftermarket driveshafts especially if the OEM joints are still in good shape. After rebooting my CVs a few weeks ago, I'd recommend going that route, the grease that came out of my joints with 113k miles was completely spent, liquified nastiness.

It's hard to say what else is leaking because it's a mess under there. The gear oil in your diff stinks, does the oil on the bottom of your diff have a strong smell? If yes, it may be the output shaft seal on the diff tube. May want to check the fluid level in the diff too.

Hold off on changing fluids and lubes at this point, otherwise you may need to redo after fixing leaks.

First thing I do is take pictures and study. Once I'm sure I've got all leaky areas captured digitally top to bottom, I clean. I keep cleaning until no more oil, greasy or wet spots.

The picture help detriment where to watch for leaks to reappear. In this way you can pinpoint the leaks. The pictures will also help along with watching reappearance to determine how much is leaking.

Your front drive shaft CV boot looks to be leaking at outer clamp of inboard boot, very common. It may need re-clamping or boot may be torn. You'll know once you clean.

Other leaks could be coming from above. Oils travel down and back, with some climbing up from capillary action and air flow. Again cleaning then watching will help pin point.

A lucky possibilities; oily PS steering rack boot may be leaky hose fitting at power steering reservoir above $2 fix, they leak and travel down. If unlucky your rack is leaking.

Front differential need new drain & fill washer (gasket) anytime removed, you may just need some $2 washer.

DS oil differential tube may be oil spilled from above and or oil dip stick tube O-ring $2. It may also be outer differential tube oil seal ~$20.

Clean, clean and clean then inspect. Then get a game plan of action.

Read through some of my post in links of signature below.

Last edited:
Hold off on changing fluids and lubes at this point, otherwise you may need to redo after fixing leaks.

First thing I do is take pictures and study. Once I'm sure I've got all leaky areas captured digitally top to bottom, I clean. I keep cleaning until no more oil, greasy or wet spots.

The picture help detriment where to watch for leaks to reappear. In this way you can pinpoint the leaks. The pictures will also help along with watching reappearance to determine how much is leaking.

Your front drive shaft CV boot looks to be leaking at outer clamp of inboard boot, very common. It may need re-clamping or boot may be torn. You'll know once you clean.

Other leaks could be coming from above. Oils travel down and back, with some climbing up from capillary action and air flow. Again cleaning then watching will help pin point.

A lucky possibilities; oily PS steering rack boot may be leaky hose fitting at power steering reservoir above $2 fix, they leak and travel down. If unlucky your rack is leaking.

Front differential need new drain & fill washer (gasket) anytime removed, you may just need some $2 washer.

DS oil differential tube may be oil spilled from above and or oil dip stick tube O-ring $2. It may also be outer differential tube oil seal ~$20.

Clean, clean and clean then inspect. Then get a game play of action.

Not disagreeing with you, but asking a question.

I always assume the fluids have not been changed when I get a used car, so would it be safe to assume that the fluid in his diffs has never been changed? And changing it would be a good thing, gear oil isn't that expensive. Even if he does have to reseal the front diff he's only out 2qts of gear oil.

I agree all fluid should be changed (base-line), but first determine where leaks are coming from.

In some cases I will flush old fluid; like the AHC which fresh fluid can aid in fixing leaky shock. Or power steering, if I'm sure rack is not leaking, as I like to double flush Power steering in most cases anyway. Or engine if it's been run on conventional oil, as I like to re-flush after ~500 miles in those cases.

But even in these I'm reasonable sure of what is leaking and what all work I'll be performing first. This keeps me from wasting materials and time.

Also changing oils & gear lubes also means new washer (gaskets) which may stop leak(s), leaving one still search for leaks no longer there and wonder when it will leak again.

My CV's look identical to yours. I just replaced my front and rear shocks and thought that could perhaps have caused the issue. But I remembered I got my LC up to 70 on I55 for the first time and that probably revealed the defective boot or clamps. I purchased 2 CV boot replacement kits (40$ ea) from cruiser parts and waiting for them to come in and install I will update you if this fixes the problem.[/

Clean, clean and clean then inspect. Then get a game play of action.

I remember I enjoyed reading your post even before I decided to buy a 100 series. It's a satisfying thing to watch the restoration.

My CV's look identical to yours. I just replaced my front and rear shocks and thought that could perhaps have caused the issue. But I remembered I got my LC up to 70 on I55 for the first time and that probably revealed the defective boot or clamps. I purchased 2 CV boot replacement kits (40$ ea) from cruiser parts and waiting for them to come in and install I will update you if this fixes the problem.[/
Thanks @Sherpa100!

Last edited:
A little bit background here: recently bought a 1999 LX470 with 120K miles :), it only had been driven occasionally for the past 10 years according to the previous owner. Not too much maintenance records, only oil change and alignment.

The steering feels loose at highway speed so I decided to get under the vehicle to check, just to found out these :(:

IMG_20170630_184547.jpg

IMG_20170630_185059.jpg
IMG_20170630_185125_1.jpg
IMG_20170630_182911.jpg
IMG_20170630_185528.jpg

I can see yellow fluid (not sure if it is front diff fluid) under the front diff as shown in the second picture. The CV boots also look like leaking grease badly.

My questions are
1. Am I correct about the CV boots leak and diff leak?
2. If so how can I fix them? Replacing the whole CV axle?
3. Re-seal the font diff? Or upgrade the front axle since it's a 99, I heard people said 98 and 99 has a weak front axle.
4. Is there anything else I didn't see here?:frown:
I am totally new to this, any thoughts will be appreciated.

Did you ever figure out what was leaking on the front diff? Im having a similar problem, I think. My CV joints are dry and the leak look like its coming from above the diff and alongside the engine but definitely not engine oil.

Did you ever figure out what was leaking on the front diff? Im having a similar problem, I think. My CV joints are dry and the leak look like its coming from above the diff and alongside the engine but definitely not engine oil.

It was the steering rack. I ended up replacing it, I bought one from a Toyota dealer online ($750) and had it installed, also replaced all the bushings. Now it drives perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom