CV boot, seals, wheel bearings, etc. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

Looking for recommendations of what to inspect and anticipate replacing.

I have a leaking front diff and the drip is coming from the area where the CV slides in. I assume there's an oil seal there that's gone bad.

The CV boots are brittle, so I'm thinking while I address the oil seal:

Reboot inner and outer, diff oil seals, wheel bearings.

What else should I be on the lookout while I have it apart? Best place to get the parts? Thanks!

Good time to check the upper and lower ball joints and all the associated bushings. Also good to check the brakes and rotors. Cant hurt to also look at the steering rack and inner/outer tie-rod ends. All depends on how far along you want to go and how much scope creep you can handle. Many start digging in and then find more stuff to handle at the same time.

All that said, don't drive on the diff without oil in it or you will need to replace that. There have been a few instances of people running them dry and destroying them.

You don't list a year or miles on your truck and if you don't know the maintenance history, there's a list of things you could definitely check. It's not necessary to do the wheel bearings to get the CV out to replace the diff seal, but again, if you don't know if they've ever been at a minimum regreased, good time to do it.

For parts I'd hit up Cruiser Outfitters in MIdvale, either storefront or online at cruiserteq.com

2005 230k on the clock. Never had wheel bearings, joints, bushings, etc. done
Prepare to replace everything

1675142245813.gif

Hi,

Looking for recommendations of what to inspect and anticipate replacing.

I have a leaking front diff and the drip is coming from the area where the CV slides in. I assume there's an oil seal there that's gone bad.

The CV boots are brittle, so I'm thinking while I address the oil seal:

Reboot inner and outer, diff oil seals, wheel bearings.

What else should I be on the lookout while I have it apart? Best place to get the parts? Thanks!
I like Cruiserteq, Wit's End, Partsouq.

When you do CVs in addition to the oil seals don't forget to get the snap ring that goes over the end hub side. Cruiserteq has them here.

I don't think this is a comprehensive list but I'd inspect lower and upper control arm ball joints and bushings, rubber on the sway bar end links. Probably something I'm forgetting.

I’m in a similar situation-

I’ve replaced upper and lower control arms/tie rods/sway bar stuff/shocks/t bars/etc on the front. PO did the passenger CV.

I’m doing the driver’s side CV this Friday with a buddy. Already have the CV, but what else do I need to do the job “right”? It’s the last thing on the front end that needs.

Part numbers/links would be appreciated!!

TIA

I’m in a similar situation-

I’ve replaced upper and lower control arms/tie rods/sway bar stuff/shocks/t bars/etc on the front. PO did the passenger CV.

I’m doing the driver’s side CV this Friday with a buddy. Already have the CV, but what else do I need to do the job “right”? It’s the last thing on the front end that needs.

Part numbers/links would be appreciated!!

TIA
For the just the CV I believe all you'd need in addition is the snap ring and rubber seal for the diff side. I searched here on mud the driver side seal is 90311-47013 and the snap ring I believe has multiple PNs for thicknesses. Cruiserteq sells an assortment. Check out page 1 of this thread for info.

It may also help yo have snap ring pliers and a seal driver. Wit's End sells the sealer drivers and handle. Not entirely necessary but after doing it without it, I got it to make it easier next time (hopefully not soon).

I like Cruiserteq, Wit's End, Partsouq.

When you do CVs in addition to the oil seals don't forget to get the snap ring that goes over the end hub side. Cruiserteq has them here.

I don't think this is a comprehensive list but I'd inspect lower and upper control arm ball joints and bushings, rubber on the sway bar end links. Probably something I'm forgetting.

Just my .02 but i would buy the snap rings locally at the dealer. You wont know what size to use as the width will probably change going from old to new rings. You can buy the pack, use the ones you need and return the rest. Thats what i did when i did the CV swap. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom