CV Boot Clamps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a leaking CV boot, and I either need to reclamp it (its worth a try) or reboot it. Either way I want to use the McMaster-Carr rolled edge clamps. Is there another source for McMaster-Carr clamps, besides, of course, McMaster-Carr? They only sell in packages of 10, and it seems kind of silly (and a bit expensive) to buy 20 Clamps, when I only need 4.

My Google skills (and Mud search skills) haven't turned anything up. Thanks!

^ Quality man right there

^ Quality man right there

1602019557866.gif

I've seen nothing good about PFran on this site in a while.

Thank you @JunkCrzr89, I'll PM you shortly!

I will probably outcast for saying this but i just went to Napa and got some and they worked great!
I think this is fine as long as the have the rolled edges. This is the main reason everyone does them as the rolled edges on the band won't cut the boot.

I would have to dig when I am at the ex's place but I think I still have some leftover as well.

Hey, sorry to
Rehash this. Swapped
The Toyota clamps on my cv boots with the McMaster’s (the small 1”-1 and 5/8” ones and there’s still
Some grease spitting. How tight should they be. Don’t want to break it

Snug (Very helpful, I know...). I did over tighten one and I knew right away. Had to replace it.

I guess if it’s still weeping you don’t have anything to lose by giving it a quarter turn, then coming back to check, and tightening again if you need it.

Some grease spitting. How tight should they be. Don’t want to break it

if your using clamps like these Clamps | McMaster-Carr, i would use a pair of slip joint pliers on the boot clamp pliers and give it a little wiggle to make sure that the clamp was tight. if you over tighten it itll break and you can just put in a new one, it takes a pretty good amount of force to break the clamps.

if its a screw type clamp give it another 1/4 turn and see. clean the axle and boots up good just to make sure that your not seeing any residual grease being flung around

If you're having trouble sourcing them, the big ass hose clamps in the plumbing section at your local big box store will work too and aren't heavy enough to imbalance the CV's.

If you're having trouble sourcing them, the big ass hose clamps in the plumbing section at your local big box store will work too and aren't heavy enough to imbalance the CV's.
Though they might cut the boot. The M-C clamps have smoothed (rolled) edges to prevent this.

I’m a dumbass. I originally tightened them with a flat head screwdriver. I couldn’t get them to spin by hand but then again I wasn’t trying very hard and a I was wearing gloves which I hate...can’t feel or grip s*** but catch hell when I have grease stained hands and try to hold my 4 month old. I knew they spun because when I went to check them they Where in a different position after a short drive. Used a 7mm and a ratchet and it turned quite a bit more before I became nervous about breaking it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom