CV Axles and Steering Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After installed the clamps I have drove about 500 miles. Not a drop of grease seeping from the CV boots.

Now come to the steering rack. I flushed the old fluid and replaced with Valvoline Dexron VI ATF and added about 45ml AT205. After driving 5 hours I cleaned the boots, then I found boots get wet after another hour drive and parking in the garage. Fluid level dropped about 1mm. I would keep driving to see how the fluid level drop in the power steering reservoir. My question is, if the fluid keep dropping, what the option to me?

1. Add anther 45ml AT205.
2. Use Mobile 1 ATF to flush again and add AT205
3. Bite the bullet to get a new LC steering rack with bushing installed.

I would keep topping off with the 205 and give it some time. It can take quite some time to swell the seals fully.
Thanks. I will do that and hopefully the leak will stop.

The boots have some small tears at the bottom and the passenger side boot has a bigger rear at the inner end.

529680B4-4BC3-4B99-9513-4F15A91EE674.jpeg
60B704E3-757F-49E2-8996-51803D7BA54D.jpeg

Update after 10,000 miles. The reclamped CVs are still dry without any sign of leaking. The power steering fluid is right above the low level in the reservoir, I did add a couple of times AT 205 to the cold high level before long trips. The power steering boot is not any wetter than 10,000 miles ago. And the fluid level in the reservoir is also very similar to what I have 10,000 miles ago. Thanks again for all the help here.

Update after 10,000 miles. The reclamped CVs are still dry without any sign of leaking. The power steering fluid is right above the low level in the reservoir, I did add a couple of times AT 205 to the cold high level before long trips. The power steering boot is not any wetter than 10,000 miles ago. And the fluid level in the reservoir is also very similar to what I have 10,000 miles ago. Thanks again for all the help here.

Great news. Thank you for the follow up. 👍

Been having a similar issue with my 2000 LC. Mechanic who changed the oil was quick to say I needed to replace the rack and both CV boots. Spoke with another mechanic more familiar with LCs - who i will be using form here on out - and they recommended to AT205 and see what happens. Took a 250 mile trip and came out form dinner to find a bunch of PS fluid on the ground under the drivers door - thankfully had some with me and poured about half a quart in before driving back to hotel. Fearing rack failure and not wanting to burn up the pump, I had it towed to a dealer . . . couldn't find a leak. Drove home and it leaks on my garage floor. PS hoses were previously replaced - first culprit when pulling the reservoir was that the lower hose had been compromised by the clamp cutting into it. Cut out the bad section and reclamped . . . still leaking. After further inspection, noticed the gasket on the cap was broken . . . replaced that . . . still leaking. Leak has been narrowed down to somewhere around the reservoir and fluid runs down the back of the lower hose and then drips on CV boot etc. After spending some time in the shop cleaning the reservoir and then running the vehicle while working the steering, it appears that its the seam on the reservoir that is leaking so it looks like a replacement needs to be ordered.

Who on here is able to work deals on OEM parts? I purchased a new rack from Beno 7 years and 100k ago at a great price, but understand he moved on to something else.

I agree with the dealer. These are good items to watch and plan for, but no need to take action immediately.

Budget ~$1500 for new CVs, seals, cone washers, hub flanges, C-clips, etc...

Budget ~$1000 for a new steering rack, tie rod ends.

Those are parts prices. Roughly double those figures to include labor.
Do you by any chance have part numbers for the above parts? My steering rack is leaking pretty bad, leaving a puddle on my garage floor and my CV boots (recently repacked) are completely torn/busted with grease all over in both the wheel wells. Recently lifted the truck with IM FCP 2” lift kit….this might be the reason for previous leaking axles to go completely bad.

Been having a similar issue with my 2000 LC. Mechanic who changed the oil was quick to say I needed to replace the rack and both CV boots. Spoke with another mechanic more familiar with LCs - who i will be using form here on out - and they recommended to AT205 and see what happens. Took a 250 mile trip and came out form dinner to find a bunch of PS fluid on the ground under the drivers door - thankfully had some with me and poured about half a quart in before driving back to hotel. Fearing rack failure and not wanting to burn up the pump, I had it towed to a dealer . . . couldn't find a leak. Drove home and it leaks on my garage floor. PS hoses were previously replaced - first culprit when pulling the reservoir was that the lower hose had been compromised by the clamp cutting into it. Cut out the bad section and reclamped . . . still leaking. After further inspection, noticed the gasket on the cap was broken . . . replaced that . . . still leaking. Leak has been narrowed down to somewhere around the reservoir and fluid runs down the back of the lower hose and then drips on CV boot etc. After spending some time in the shop cleaning the reservoir and then running the vehicle while working the steering, it appears that its the seam on the reservoir that is leaking so it looks like a replacement needs to be ordered.

Who on here is able to work deals on OEM parts? I purchased a new rack from Beno 7 years and 100k ago at a great price, but understand he moved on to something else.

Partsouq always has what I need, and I think Wits End has the reservoir as well. I'm not much help on the domestic side...dealers are always slower and more expensive than Partsouq.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom