1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cutting the rear x-member off to incorporate

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by 2badfjs, Feb 26, 2007.

1. 2badfjs

2badfjs

a reciever hitch in the bumper.

if you were to cut the rear x-member so a bumper w/hitch could be mounted, could the mounting of the hitch act as a new x-member? as long as it mounted from rail to rail?

thoughts please, looking to possably put this in my bumpers.

jim

2. phoenixrider

phoenixrider

I've seen pictures of this, and that's what I wanted to do on mine. I also wanted to cut off the last couple of inches of frame rail so the bumber will fit in tight. Don't know if anybody has done that

3. SLOwag

SLOwag

Yep. That's how 4+ is done. You could just remove the x member by removing rivets (in theory it could be put back.....). Pm me if you need pics.

4. 2mbb

2mbb SILVER Star

5. brian

brian SILVER Star

i chopped mine on acount of rust issues.

hard to tell in the pic, but i cut back everything back so that it's right below the tailgate. replaced it with a 4 1/2'' pc of 1/4'' flat bar about 1/2'' wider than the frame rails. to that i mounted teh new bumper, which for now is just something i pulled out of my ass till i figure what i want to do for ''real''.
    frame60rear.JPG

6. oilcan

oilcan

I removed my x-member rather unexpectedly...

rear x member small.JPG

:lol:

Initially, I had cut a hole in the x-member with a torch, and welded in a reciever, which worked great, until I got a little too vigorous trying to pull out a tree.
    I have since built a rear bumper that essentially replaces it. However, this 60 is now a trail rig only, with little to no regard given to longevity. Had this been a DD, much more beef would have been built into bumper/x-member.

rear bumper small.JPG
    rear x member small.JPG rear bumper small.JPG

7. Tinker

Tinker

Jimbo -
    Can you just enlarge the hole in the middle? That's what I did.

I think you might be able to build a bumper that would be as strong as the old bumper/crossmember combination.

8. Spook50

Spook50 Get ready

I think that's how 4x4Labs does theirs too is by completely removing the crossmember and using the rivet holes to bolt the crossmember they've integrated into their bumper to.