Cutting out the sound (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so I know that a lot of you could care less about road noise and rattles but I was wondering what people have done to get rid of as much noise in the cab. What have been some sources of rattles and such. Im looking for links, pics, stories etc... Lets hear it.

im not sure if that was the answer he was lookin for...

if your putting carpet in yourcruser, you could use dynamat underneath. derattleing takes alot of time, you have to rplace all the weather stripping, all the door felt. windshield gasket... etc

tighten every nut and bolt up and use dynamat or a combo of carpet and insulation. i'm actually using 1/2" armaflex that comes in sheets, i will be covering the floor with this and then doing a custom rubber flooring for durability. this stuff is probably really expensive but my dad gets it "free"from work..

I did foil-backed insulation stuff on the floors, it helped a LOT, both with noise and heat. that's under carpeting and the original floor mats. I'll probably run some up the firewall someday, but actually I think it's a good thing to be able to hear some of the noises from the engine and drivetrain, keeps my mind and body in tune with the cruiser.

:)

Rather than dynamat I was thinking of maybe Bichathane wich is a roofing underlayment. I have a friend that ownes a car audio store and found that it works just as well and is cheaper. Im sure that dynamat would work better if you took measurements but I don't know about $5 sq/ft better. What about the firewall? would it be better to add insulation on the cab side or motor side? Luxury sedans are a bit much and besides I dont cheat on my FJ40.

I have used a 2 sided foil bubble wrap in my samurai doors. I didn't think it would work to good for sound but it did. Im not looking for a super quiet ride but I would like to be able to talk to the person next to me. Although if someone had gone all out I would like to hear about it too.

I would make sure you have good paint on the metal before laying down rubber, carpet, foil. Etc. It'll trap the moissture and causes rust. I can show you a good example on the bed of my Cruiser. :)

-Dustin

Ethan, i can only immagine what that would sound like in an accident .POP POP POP! lol just thought it was funny. :)

Hmm your right. its like side impact protection j/k. Yeah I didn't know what it was when I bought it but put it in anyway. It's good light stuff. IT is used mainly for heat.

Ethan said:
Ok so I know that a lot of you could care less about road noise and rattles but I was wondering what people have done to get rid of as much noise in the cab. What have been some sources of rattles and such. Im looking for links, pics, stories etc... Lets hear it.

I used to install car audio, the high end stuff when I was in college. I tried to get my 40 quiet enough to put a nice stereo in it...

...it was like throwing a sweet system into a tuna fish can. There is too much metal and glass to get a quiet ride out of a 40. That said, Insulation is the only way to dampen the noise, I use carpet and a dynomat material in the doors...

...still it is just a big metal box. You will always have resonance in the panels.

Earplugs are a better idea :)

Good Luck!

Rezarf <><

Ear plugs fit the budget too. HA. well I know that even if I get the panels quiet the wind noise will still be there due to the FJ being the shape of a brick. Did you notice a difference with the insulation?

I'm curious about the bichathane. My brother is a roofing contractor and has tons of the stuff. I've helped him install it and in the heat it smells preety stong. Just wondering on a hot day if the smell would return inside the fj. If any one has used it please post a reply.

thanx jason

surfpig said:
I did foil-backed insulation stuff on the floors, it helped a LOT, both with noise and heat.

I did the same thing, ran it as high up the firewall as I could reach. Then I put outdoor carpet mat (like $4 at a home improvement store for about 4'x6') on top of that, and for additional 'bling' the SOR carpet mats (which won't fit without modification if you have a roll cage :frown:). It did cut noise down quite a bit, at least to the point where I can now hear the CB at highway speed (unless I run the bikini top :)).

To prevent mud from messing everything up, I occasionally use $4 plastic mats from Walmart, but that wouldn't take care of moisture under the insulation or carpet.........(sorry Chris, no help here, just don't wheel in wet conditions :D)

and I did all the other derattling, like someone said - time consuming. And then, prolonged driving on rutted highways or dirt trails will shake it all loose again :eek:

74fj40 said:
im not sure if that was the answer he was lookin for...

if your putting carpet in yourcruser, you could use dynamat underneath. derattleing takes alot of time, you have to rplace all the weather stripping, all the door felt. windshield gasket... etc

uh (cough) joke. lots of things one can do. start with a search then some relaxers and laugh a little, goes a long way:cheers:

I bought some stuff called "Q-Pads". They look a lot like roofing material, have a self adhesive side and can be painted. They came(when I bought them several years ago) in 12"x12" and 18"x18", and maybe 12"x24". You can cut them to any shape with an Exacto and if you heat them with a heat gun, they will conform to almost any form. Installed properly without voids and painted, I think I would have no problem hosing out the '40 and not worry about wicking or trapping moisture.
Later cruisers came with something similar.

Ed

sometimes i have this high pitched whining noise in my cruiser, if it gets to loud i open the door and let my girlfriend out...

Degnol said:
I bought some stuff called "Q-Pads". They look a lot like roofing material, have a self adhesive side and can be painted. They came(when I bought them several years ago) in 12"x12" and 18"x18", and maybe 12"x24". You can cut them to any shape with an Exacto and if you heat them with a heat gun, they will conform to almost any form.

I used that stuff on the sides of the firewall where the kick vents are. But have you ever tried to get it off? That stuff sticks like nothing I have seen before :grinpimp:

bandy rooster said:
sometimes i have this high pitched whining noise in my cruiser, if it gets to loud i open the door and let my girlfriend out...

see, I don't have that problem :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom