cutting off in traffic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my 92 fj80 has been cutting off on me in traffic when i am stopped . I have recently changed my TPS because it was cutting off and threw a code for it. Now its doing it again but no codes. It only does it in gear or neutral that i am aware of, when i am in park it will idle all day long . I have ended up either putting it in neutral and revving it slightly to keep it running or putting it in park and even then it dont always work . sometimes it will die when i start giving it gas and when it dies it wont stay running when i crank it unless i floor the gas and hold it for a second .... when it does that i just pop it in neutral crank it floored and then when the rpms drop down pop it back into drive... luckily its usually still rolling in the bumper to bumper traffic. this morning it died 22 times .. any ideas to check? i have thought vacuum issue but its desmogged and not sure whats still needed but it was doing this before the desmog. i thought maybe charcoal canister making a vapor lock in the tank but when i open the gas cap it has pressure built up and still wont stay running when i crank it. new plugs, new wires,new fuel filter, new tps, ...

Last edited:
how about your AFM? Is the wiring connector to the AFM in good shape? When i disconnect the wiring harness to the AFM, the rig will not crank or idle.

how about your AFM? Is the wiring connector to the AFM in good shape? When i disconnect the wiring harness to the AFM, the rig will not crank or idle.
The AFM has zero to do with the starter cranking the motor. With the AFM disconnected, the engine will crank and briefly fire until you release the key from the START position, as the fuel pump shuts down.

The AFM has zero to do with the starter cranking the motor. With the AFM disconnected, the engine will crank and briefly fire until you release the key from the START position, as the fuel pump shuts down.
Thats right.

Well I want to say thank you for the help and tip on the afm marco.i found a wire had pushed out of the connector but was still making contact because of the plastic/ rubber wire cover holding it in place . When I wiggled the harness my truck cut off.I cut off the cover and found the wire, I pried the locking clip on the terminal up a little and heard it click into place . I had no issues since. And for what it's worth it was the second wire from the left looking at the harness plugged in . Red wire

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom