Cutting a propane tank? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have you guys ever had any experience cutting propane tanks. I am making a forge and I bought a used 25 gallon propane tank. I would prefer not blowing myself up, I filled it with water and drained it twice. Does anyone have experience?

Thanks! Joe

Yup. Ive done it a bunch. Welded a bunch too. No big deal. If you have filled it with water everything is gone. If it worries you cut it almost full of water.

Now you got me interested. You blacksmithing? Making blades?

Have you checked out the Sandia gas forge? If not you should google it if you get a chance. My best bro's dad helped develop it. It's pretty badass.

Thought all fire fighters were bunch of pyro 🤣

I started making tinkering with knife making probably about 7 years ago, and life how now slowed down enough for me to really start making some blades.

I rigged this up about 10 years ago for hardening AK receivers.

IMG_20191002_165229.jpg

Dude I need to buy a house next door to you!
I found the sweet spot, a few miles down the road. Close enough to hang out but far enough to avoid the blast over-pressure and fragments.

But not too close, 'cause he blows s*** up :rofl:

Haha. I have been known to do that. Its in my blood. When I was a kid Independance Day was when grandpa would bring the dynamite and Uncle Paul would bring the beer. Primer cord was always my favorite

I found the sweet spot, a few miles down the road. Close enough to hang out but far enough to avoid the blast over-pressure and fragments.

You should come by sometime. Visitors are rare.

According to my text from Virgil, I now have a good reason for a visit......might have to call uber for the ride home afterwards though 🤣 :bounce:

I technically don't live there yet but concrete got poured on Monday and framing starts next week.

On the topic of det cord, my favorite story is from when my uncle filled a plastic trash bag full of acetylene, taped a LONG piece of cord to it, walked out into the middle of his alfalfa field, lit the cord and then casually walked back. It made a big boom and a big enough pressure wave to push you back a little even a couple hundred feet away.

I technically don't live there yet but concrete got poured on Monday and framing starts next week.

On the topic of det cord, my favorite story is from when my uncle filled a plastic trash bag full of acetylene, taped a LONG piece of cord to it, walked out into the middle of his alfalfa field, lit the cord and then casually walked back. It made a big boom and a big enough pressure wave to push you back a little even a couple hundred feet away.

Acetylene and balloons... Brings back memories from Ag class in high school. Most people don't realize how dangerous acetylene can be.

According to my text from Virgil, I now have a good reason for a visit......might have to call uber for the ride home afterwards though 🤣 :bounce:

Nah, we got a place to crash. Or just pull your tent out. You could find a great camping spot within walking distance.

Hmmm...I should break out the carbide lamp on one of these trips just for S&Gs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom