Cuttin' up an 80... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for input on cutting into the sheetmetal of my 80 in order to facilitate 38" tires and bigger. I'm not fond of body lifts, so cutting is my only option. Does anyone know of anyone (other than Christo, who will be consulted ) that has done this? If so, please submit some info!

Thanks!

Jason

I thought about doing this also to fit 40's but was also concerned with birfields breaking. Are 80 axles strong enuff to handle 40's?

Someone, maybe BK, will post some pics. There's a guy in GA, I think his name is Josh Mimms, that has like 38-40's. He's missing enough sheet metal that someone like pinhead Wench :flipoff2: could climb into the cargo area without opening any doors. :eek:

Wrench - thought some dude in NH was doing your chopping? You should do it yourself - that would be a fun project and one good to learn on by doing it yourself.

Ummm... yeah... Thanks guys. I was hoping for something a little more clean than that... specifically something that looks stock, perhaps even w/ the stock fender flares relocated higher... anybody else?

Jason

I think the stock fender flares would give you nothing but issues trying to relocat to a higher location. they are not long enough to relocate. worth a try but would be easier to do with some aftermarket types or the ever stylish garden stripping. as far as keepingit clean the front would be easy in my opinion as the apron on the fenders is not that critical. the rear end would give you greif due to the floor pan and inner 1/4panel structure.
just throwing in my .02
Dave

If I were tackling this project, first I would get Christo to make me a set of arms aprox 1-1.5" longer to move the front diff forward so the tyres dont contact the floor area at the rear of the front fender. The inner fender on the front would need a big trim,a nd a fibreglasser could make a mould from a bogge dup front fender and flare mounted higher to make to factory looking front fenders to suit the larger tyres.

The rear I would also make new arms, move the diff back about 2" save cutting the doors, and make the rear fenders longer to accomadate the larger tyres, using the inner fender wells from a wreckers etc to extend the arch and keep it looking reasonable, then use the same fibreglasser to make a new rear flare longer to suit the longer and taller new wheel arch.

This would allow 38"s with no body lift and ARB lift, With some shock tower mods and some bump stop spacers so more droop was available to make up for the loss of up travel, 40"s would go close with christo's bigger lift, or you could do what I did and just lift the body as far as needed once the suspension is done, I lifted my 80 30mm to suit 36" with ARB lift, and I lifted my 78 series 10mm in the body to clear the 36x13's.

Its amazing how much room a well wielded sledgehammer will get you also, my latest vehicle I gained an extra 25-30mm [1'-11/4"] in the rear of the front fender to fit bigger tyres, and the average person wouldnt tell.

Shed Guy has valid points on the front and back. In the front, once you do the trim of the rear, you could do two different things, one is chop out some of the middle part of the fender (about 3-4"), then weld it back together (similiar to what the dudes did on Monster Garage with the rear of the bronco) - keeps it stock look while not being stock, or you could have some custom tube flares made which is what I'm in the process of designing for myself. I'm cutting the fenders, then going with a welded on tube reinforcement similiar to the 40 type fenders for the front :flipoff2:

Rear is a whole nother issue. Biggest problem there is the rear doors. Only so much to cut out unless you extend the wheel base even further, or forget the doors and make it a 2 door. :flipoff2:

Shed Guy, Junk, thanks for your input. I'm visualizing it now... hmm. Time to call Christo. Anybody else?

J

it's Hyperlite again, to answer your question use a sawzaw, 6 inch metal grinder and a hydrolic ram jack to bend cut or grind any peice of metal that is in your way. Don't cut or grind too much around the seams.

[quote author=customcruiser link=board=12;threadid=6241;start=msg50909#msg50909 date=1066172669]
You told me you would share it with me, but instead you swallowed.
:flipoff2: clarification? :flipoff2:[/quote]

Sounds like you two have some intimate history together that none of us really care about. :slap:

Wrench, Wolf - I'd recommend talking to Christo since he has solid knowledge of what the limits are. Shed Boy too, but Christo would be more accessable.

So what's the story Wench? ???

[quote author=Junk link=board=12;threadid=6241;start=msg50947#msg50947 date=1066180145]
Sounds like you two have some intimate history together that none of us really care about. :slap:

Wrench, Wolf - I'd recommend talking to Christo since he has solid knowledge of what the limits are. Shed Boy too, but Christo would be more accessable.
[/quote]

The story may of been more interesting, if someone hadnt swapped half the keys around on his keyboard....[or if this forum had spellcheck :doh:]

Im happy to forward any info I can Wolfpacktlc, feel free to PM or email me if you have any questions.

Christo should be a great source also.

[quote author=the shed guy link=board=12;threadid=6241;start=msg50964#msg50964 date=1066181909]
The story may of been more interesting, if someone hadnt swapped half the keys around on his keyboard....[or if this forum had spellcheck :doh:]

Im happy to forward any info I can Wolfpacktlc, feel free to PM or email me if you have any questions.

Christo should be a great source also.
[/quote]
:flipoff2: :D

All that said, does anyone else have anything that is actually on topic to respond with? I'm eyeballing SX's, but I'm open to suggestions. MT/R's just don't self clean well enough w/ the type of mud we have around here. 38's, 37's, whatever, as long as someone can guide me through the cutting process. I'm not afraid to do it, I'd merely like a guide, as 80 sheetmetal is no where near as cheap as 40 or even 60 metal. I've entertained the idea of a bodylift, but I'd like that to be the last option.

If it were me, id put 38x13/16 on 10" alloys and make them fit.

If you make the glass panels like I suggested earlier, the standard ones could always be refitted.

Or there is always the 39.5/15 for the extra hassle, and breakages.....

BACK ON TOPIC:

Spoke to Christo a second ago... he feels pretty much the same way I do. He doesn't like body lifts, and thinks I can go wider w/ some trimming and some flares from Arctic Trucks... ha.. only $1000, right Christo? My bumpstops are already extended, so up travel is limited... Looks like now I need to call my friends running 38's and start trying tires on my rig.

I'm still looking for some advice from someone that has done this before, so if you have, feel free to chime it.

Christo, you don't count. You cut the freakin' thing in half (almost ) and cut WAY more sheet metal off than I could ever want. Tell Ben I said hi.

J

Customcruiser, give it a rest, before people think less of you than they do now for your stupid antics, you obviously have a point to prove, so do it offline, rather than waste the thread.

Wolfpacktlc, just stop replying, his one post would look pretty weird if he didnt get any bites, just keep to the topic and let his fishing expedition slide.

His posts would be even more weird if you go back and delete your replies....

And go try some 38's and see what needs cutting on that 80, and dont forget pics. :cheers:

Well put, well said... got an appointment w/ a buddy tonight... don't know about the tires though... 38.5's... should be REAL interesting.

J

and I would be more inclined to stay that side of 40" for now, if it were me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom