cut rear fender repair??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
greetings,
ok, so you know how the rear fenders get cut when flares are installed? well, whats the best way to repair it back to original?
its only the area where the flare went that needs repair, all flat metal. ive seen the panels that ccot has, they look pretty good, or could a decent body guy just ad a coulple inches of metal to it and get it close enough???
any thoughts and experience?
thanks,
herb

For a FJ40, right? No personal experience doing the repair, but Real Steel Cruiser Parts (IH8Mud board Advertiser) makes what you are looking for: LINK

Any body guy could add in metal to get the dimensions and lip close. But if its not going to be exactly original looking why not just leave the flares? The easiest way I can think to reverse this and get a perfect look to it would be to get the panels from any of the suppliers like CCOT, Real steal, etc. I guess its all what you're going for.

My rear quarters were toast and I just finished repacing them. I used the CCOT panels and can only say they were ok. The radius was not quite on, but a little :rolleyes: shoulder pushing while my friend tacked it, it looks good. If you are only using it in the area of the fender flare, don't waste your money. Cut the spot welds on the wheet well, and put a piece of 16g sheet metal in its place ( I say 16 cause that was the replacement panel size, the stock may be different.) You can cut a small piece of you existing out and take with you to the metal shop. They have gauges and can hook you up. Put the new piece in and butt weld it all up. Remember to bevel both pieces (the existing panel and your new piece) on the side you are welding from so you get full penetration and when you grind the weld down, you still have plenty of weld to keep it together.

I cut mine at the bottom edge of the top ridge. This gave me plenty of metal on the existing quarter to weld to. I will post up some pics tonight if you like. Good luck. :beer:

Easy and cheap way is to make the panels yourself. Buy one full sheet of 16ga steel. This is enough to do the quarters and the rocker panels on both sides.

Remove your old panels by cutting out the spot welds. Use these are templates to mark the sheet. Add the X number of inches that were removed from the stock panels. You can use a buddies truck to get the exact measurements.

Weld them back in place and enjoy your new truck!

Check out my web site in my sig. I show you step by step how to take your body apart and put it back together. (Note: My 'body' is not exactly stock) :D

sorry, yes its for an FJ40.
and im not looking to get it showroom condition, just looking good.
thanks for the advise and id love to see pictures.
cheers,
herb

Lots of folks have cut out good sheetmetal to install flares. You might see if anyone has the cutouts lying around...I used to have a bunch of em, but no more...all you really need is the rolled edge.

good idea texx, thanks.

anybody have any fender metal laying around they want to get rid of?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom