Cut green 80 w/aluminum canopy Montana plates?!?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was driving home from Idaho Falls on Highway 28 yesterday afternoon and saw a chopped 80 with an aluminum canopy with MT plates on it turning into a Birch Creek campground. It looked like it retained the four doors, with the raw aluminum canopy behind the rears.

Anybody know anything about this rig?!? I would’ve stopped if I had the time, but that probably would have inspired me to keep the HDJ and plan yet another project that I don’t have time for!!!

26258B22-0076-4139-9D95-DB7CF86F7651.jpeg

That truck is from Austtalia and it is Sparesbox Naughty 40. That build can be found on YT:

It can also be seen on 4WD 24/7 on YT,

That truck is from Austtalia and it is Sparesbox Naughty 40. That build can be found on YT:

It can also be seen on 4WD 24/7 on YT,

Yea, I’ve drooled over the Sparesbox 80.

I was inquiring about the 80 I saw here in Idaho. I was hoping someone here on Mud knew about it or has the build posted on here cause I haven’t seen anything like Aussies have here in NA.

It could be rigoverland on Instagram! I think he was doing a shakedown run
Just went to his IG page and that was definitely him. Guess I can’t tell the difference between green and blue at 70 miles an hour!

Interested to see that he’s in just over the hill in the Bitteroot, definitely should have stopped and chatted w/ him then, he could have convinced me to chop the HDJ. @rigoverland looks like an interesting build.

What's the point of the back?
I think they're a result of the aftermarket industry in Australia for tradesmen. Those seem to be who most of the Australian off-roaders are, so you started to see their aluminum canopies, and it took off from there.

This thread on Expedition Portal has some interesting theories as to why we don't see them in the US.

As for the rig in OP's picture, it's probably more of an attention-grabbing setup rather than a realistic product line.

................. Guess I can’t tell the difference between green and blue at 70 miles an hour! .............
No worries, I've had my green '94 described as black before.....by more than 1 person. And they were standing next to it!:rolleyes:

Hey Gents, yes that is my rig that you saw! The body is not wider than a factory 80 at any point but instead of following the curved wall contours the wall of the camper is vertical from the floor to around 19” and then is bent 10 degrees in for another 29” or so. Clear as mud right? So at the floor level it’s the same width but at the top level it’s roughly 20” (10” both sides)wider. The extra wall space and above roof space houses a 6” thick queen sized mattress. It is a bit taller, I cut the roof out and added a bed that hinges out of the way creating sort of a living space with ample head space. I built a hinged roof that pops up with tent sides. The standing height at the rear most is just under 8’. Also, the rear of the camper extends about 16” off of the rear cross member (the one under your bumper) but the body is cut at a 45 degree to look better and for the departure angle. I apologize if this is confusing as I’m a couple beers deep and camping out in Utah atm. Any questions let me know! My IG @rigoverland has most of the build specs.
ED93F8DB-7229-4E70-9431-A7BDE5F65E37.jpeg

007BE0D3-4F34-4A55-8236-0A4637C34232.jpeg

Just went to his IG page and that was definitely him. Guess I can’t tell the difference between green and blue at 70 miles an hour!

Interested to see that he’s in just over the hill in the Bitteroot, definitely should have stopped and chatted w/ him then, he could have convinced me to chop the HDJ. @rigoverland looks like an interesting build.
You should definitely chop it! It’s a ton of work though, but honestly, when you’re done you’ll have such an epic rig!

Hey Gents, yes that is my rig that you saw! The body is not wider than a factory 80 at any point but instead of following the curved wall contours the wall of the camper is vertical from the floor to around 19” and then is bent 10 degrees in for another 29” or so. Clear as mud right? So at the floor level it’s the same width but at the top level it’s roughly 20” (10” both sides)wider. The extra wall space and above roof space houses a 6” thick queen sized mattress. It is a bit taller, I cut the roof out and added a bed that hinges out of the way creating sort of a living space with ample head space. I built a hinged roof that pops up with tent sides. The standing height at the rear most is just under 8’. Also, the rear of the camper extends about 16” off of the rear cross member (the one under your bumper) but the body is cut at a 45 degree to look better and for the departure angle. I apologize if this is confusing as I’m a couple beers deep and camping out in Utah atm. Any questions let me know! My IG @rigoverland has most of the build specs. View attachment 2909101

View attachment 2909102
Daaaaaaaaamn.....very cool.

Hey Gents, yes that is my rig that you saw! The body is not wider than a factory 80 at any point but instead of following the curved wall contours the wall of the camper is vertical from the floor to around 19” and then is bent 10 degrees in for another 29” or so. Clear as mud right? So at the floor level it’s the same width but at the top level it’s roughly 20” (10” both sides)wider. The extra wall space and above roof space houses a 6” thick queen sized mattress. It is a bit taller, I cut the roof out and added a bed that hinges out of the way creating sort of a living space with ample head space. I built a hinged roof that pops up with tent sides. The standing height at the rear most is just under 8’. Also, the rear of the camper extends about 16” off of the rear cross member (the one under your bumper) but the body is cut at a 45 degree to look better and for the departure angle. I apologize if this is confusing as I’m a couple beers deep and camping out in Utah atm. Any questions let me know! My IG @rigoverland has most of the build specs. View attachment 2909101

View attachment 2909102
Awesome build! You had to have some serious vision and commitment to lay the grinder to the sheet metal! I’ve heard it’s easier once the first cut is made.

Would love to see the rig in person sometime when you’re back. My Mom is in Stevi and I’m up there frequently.

At the end of your IG video you said that you were headed to Baja. Have a great trip, just be careful with those Baja Margaritas!

You’re more than welcome to come check it out when I get back! I would say the initial cut is definitely a little frightening, it would be more so if your rig was nice. I specifically bought a beater because I really didn’t know if I could pull it off, I didn’t want to buy something nice, cut the rear off and end up with a 80 that was worthless lol. The truck has some rot and the motor was shot. The problem was, when I started to get to the point with the camper that I was pretty sure I could finish it I had to do something about the motor, so I did an LS swap! Not as easy and cheap as people make it out to be! The whole build took me around a year and a half but if I didn’t have to do the motor swap it would definitely be a lot faster obviously. I know a guy from Bozeman is about to start a chop as well, his will be a bit different sounds like. You should do it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom