Customized iPad Mini, cellular enabled, radio installation.. Goodbye Tesla Radio junk (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Starting this feed as a multi part update and ipad mini radio build option for your LC100.

After several failed attempts trying to install the Tesla Style radio, I gave up on the piece of junk. It introduced SRS airbag issues, failed switches and never fully functioned after countless configuration changes. As all Tesla radio owners know, it might work today but it's a ticking timebomb before it fails.

Already building and installing an iPad mini inlay within my 5th gen 4Runner, I knew it was possible on the 07 LC100 series.

Things to note, because of the Tesla Style radio issues, I put in at least 40 hours of Land Cruiser systems testing (AC, Switches, center diff, airbags, etc) that helped with the identification of every harness wire, switch or button, expected functionality as well as missing functionality. Additionally, I did even more testing on the factory harnesses to see what and when signals fired using my electrical multi reader.

The iPad inlay design: To remove the tape deck, retain systems functionality, relocate defrost and rear A/C switches, and to keep all factory settings, I needed to use the radio mold and have it repurposed. When removing the tape deck, it’s separated into two different electrical units. 1) the actual tape deck and controls and 2) the defrost and rear A/C switches. Both come out easily. This is where the fun begins. You will need to disassemble each from the tape deck mold.

Video -

Stay tuned to the for more details.

2/2/2021 - It's been a few weeks since last posting. All parts to upgrade and build out the iPad Pro 12.9 inch have been placed. Hoping to have the new customized inlay and old tesla mold bonded and painted by the end of February. Simultaneously, I'll be building the iPad Pro 12.9 inch for my 5th gen 4Runner to be interchangeable. Again, I already, have the iPad mini inlay in each car and both work flawlessly.

Thinking about the LC100 and AC controls, I have an idea that I'm going to explore. My tesla mold has the AC controls on the outside of the mold. I am going to wire this previous tesla style radio minus the screen to see if I can push the AC with new iPad installed. Doing so I will be able to completely remove the factory controls. Hope this Frankenstein $hit works. I'm 90% confident. To recap, I'll be using the Tesla Style mold and radio minus the screen, replacing with iPad screen and testing to see if this modification works. with A/C controls. Doing so, I should be able to put on Auto and switch vent controls no issue. Cold in the Summer, hot in the Winter.

Anticipating the question, where can I get this Tesla style face/mold with or without controls. Just find an Alibaba supplier. Tell them your face mold has cracked and you'd like to buy a new one. Without controls price is approx. $70+ shipping. Unsure how much it would be with controls. Note: There are two sets of faceplates.. 1) w/ AC controls and 2) w/ Defrost controls. On my current install, I moved the defrost switches to the center console just below the cigarette and 12v outs.

More details to come.. Stay tuned.

IMG_1027.jpg

IMG_9630.jpg

IMG_9701.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

H

Last edited:
Damn, that is no small undertaking! Looks pretty good and I like all the apps you can run. I guess you also had to do a lot of work to get the new head unit to connect to the speakers? New amp somewhere?

Damn, that is no small undertaking! Looks pretty good and I like all the apps you can run. I guess you also had to do a lot of work to get the new head unit to connect to the speakers? New amp somewhere?
Two options. I selected to install a single din unit and after market amp. Required all the speakers to aftermarket amp. Otherwise, you can go direct from IPad to amp.

Two options. I selected to install a single din unit and after market amp. Required all the speakers to aftermarket amp. Otherwise, you can go direct from IPad to amp.
Did you have any issues with the ohm rating of the speakers? I seem to recall they were not standard impedance and so it was hard to find amps that would work. Can you share more details on that part of the system as well?

Did you have any issues with the ohm rating of the speakers? I seem to recall they were not standard impedance and so it was hard to find amps that would work. Can you share more details on that part of the system as well?
Changed everything out including upgraded speakers. It’s an assortment of Rockford Fosgate and Infinity. Screams and bumps.

That's why I haven't got rid of my stock radio... LOL

who makes the panels?

That's why I haven't got rid of my stock radio... LOL

who makes the panels?
Find and contact an Alibaba dealer directly. Tell them you have a broken panel and you are looking for replacement. You can select the blank mold no switches (approx. $75 plus shipping) or the mold with switches only (defrost, rear AC and side mirror defrost), no electronics attached. Make sure switches are not for AC controls.

During install, you'll need to use your factory switch plate to rewire and attach to Tesla mold switches. If getting a blank tesla mold, you'll need to relocate switches. This is what I did.

Why do I have to sign in to youtube to watch your video?

I have never signed up and never will.

You might check with @BenCC to see if he would design & 3D print you the bezels, mounts etc. Better than trying to get from china

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom