1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom winter 1/2 top with tonneau cover

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Razorsharp, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Razorsharp

Razorsharp

He guys, I want to build a cab only half soft cover and do a tonneau over the back for my FJ40. I see Jeep makes one for some of their models and I want to do something similar. Does any one have know of a good quality vinyl fabricator that could build such an animal? Havent decided on whether I want to use aftermarket soft doors or incorporate the original hard doors. Either way this will have to be pretty air tight for snow country winters. Any thoughts appreciated!
    -Mark Cabtopper.jpg

2. Downey

Downey

Downey Off Road Mfg. use to manufacture a 1/2 cab conversion a million years ago (when we were in business). The way we did it was to have customer use a set of genuine Toyota bows, but we provided a much shorter horizontal connecter bar, bringing the rear loop up closer to the main loop, I think it was only about 10" long. We then provided a sheet metal wall that went behind the front seats, it screwed into floor and wheel wells. Kayline built the 1/2 cab tops for us, but I think almost any good home-town auto upholstery shop might be able to fabricate for you. They won't have the molds and heater bonding equipment to bond-in the windows, but they can sew them in.

3. Living in the Past

Living in the Past SILVER Star

Years ago one of the Kayline vinyl half half tops showed up on eBay. Computer glitch couldn't bid. Have enough bows laying to make one of the. I'm sure @JohnnyC has one of your catalogs with a picture. I know I have a catalog from 74 with one somewhere.

4. Downey

Downey

Yep, I believe the Downey 1/2 cab was even on the front cover of 4 Wheeler magazine once, as I think I recall.