custom wheels for disc brake 40's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Most of the web sites for custom wheels don't include vehicles as old as 70's Landcruisers in their application charts so I'm wondering what vehicle is a good cross-reference. Since the disc brake parts for a Toyota minitruck are adaptable to an fj40 axle, is it safe to assume that wheels that would fit a solid axle minitruck would also fit an fj40? On a related question, if a wheel will clear the factory calipers on the front axle, is it safe to assume they will clear the GM calipers on the standard rear axle disc brake conversion?

I don't know if you are familiar with the term backspacing. Most will tell you that you are going to need a maximum of 3.5" backspacing in order to clear the calipers without running wheel spacers (depends on the wheel manufacturer). Depending on the use of the vehicle, you will want the maximum backspace to avoid extra stress that less backspacing creates.
I'm not sure if that answered your question correctly but hopefully it makes sense.
I just bought a set of "black rock crawlers" from 4wd parts wholesalers for 35/wheel.
There is a link to that wheel at the top of this page. Click on "Cruiserfacts", then go to the very bottom of the page.

FJcruiser,

Did you get the 3.5 back spaced wheels? their online store shows a price of $61 per wheel.

Actually, no, I ordered 2.5" backspacing for this rig. The online price and the price they quote when you call are usually quite different.
I ordered the 3.5" backspace wheels a few months ago, diff. rig, and paid the same, ~35/wheel.

Actually I think the backspacing issue has more to do with clearing the tie rod end than the calipers. Any more than 3.5 inches and the wheel rim will contact the tie rod before the wheel gets to the hub. In addition to the backspace requirements, the back of the wheel has to be shaped correctly to clear the calipers. A wheel that is relatively flat will not do the trick. As I understand it, the minitruck axle geometry is virtually identical to the landcruiser but I was hoping someone could verify that wheels listed for the straight-axle truck will fit the disc brake landcruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom