Custom tie-rods (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ceylonfj40nut

Waiting for Barn Time
SILVER Star
Threads
Need to make custom relay rod and tie-rod for a fj40 build which has 62 disc brake parts and a fj60 power steering conversion. Called BudBuilt and they are not able to due to Rona impacts and other reasons. Seems like it is tough to find a machine shop that can do it OEM style with threads reamed into DOM tubing.

Thinking of building them my self using DOM tubing, welded threaded inserts, and jam nuts. Looking for advice:

1) dom tubing spec (OD and ID)

2) 21 mm and 23 mm threaded inserts to weld on to dom tubing of spec above. Can you recommend a source? I am using a combination of 60 series and 70 series tie-rods. Hence the 21mm and 23 mm threads.

3) Best weld method.

@lcwizard has a great set of weld in TRE inserts.
B6BE105B-CFFA-40B8-BAB7-C9DB2E7482CB.jpeg

0FE0781F-4123-4622-9E1F-653D054EB256.jpeg

I didn’t want to use the FJ60 relay end with the stabilizer at the steering box so I used an 80 TRE and a shim from 4x4 labs in the pitman.

a good old school machine shop would have no issue building them.

the inserts are a nice options

I cheated and had Front Range Offroad make mine. Very stout and easy. I didn’t trust my welds…
Front range off-road has not been very responsive. They ask to send an email but have not gotten a single response. They don’t pick up the phone.

a good old school machine shop would have no issue building them.

the inserts are a nice options
That’s what I am struggling finding.

Ream it out and use 1-ton TREs and commonly available standard thread weld in inserts. Did mine this way like 10 years ago. Best combination for a street+trail rig

There is a great shop in my town, he does work for me, but we use him at work quite often. I'm not sure what we're going to do when he retires. He's in his early 70's now and his main help is in his 60's
most of the machines in there are from the 1950's or older

If you have interest in this route I’ll pull up my parts list and the reamer than matches for the pitman arm and steering arms on the axle

Ream it out and use 1-ton TREs and commonly available standard thread weld in inserts. Did mine this way like 10 years ago. Best combination for a street+trail rig
Care to share details? Ream what out? 60 series OEM tube? DOM? What 1-ton TREs?

There is a great shop in my town, he does work for me, but we use him at work quite often. I'm not sure what we're going to do when he retires. He's in his early 70's now and his main help is in his 60's
most of the machines in there are from the 1950's or older
It is sad to see this skill fade.

I don’t think @lcwizard makes these anymore based on a thread I read. Heard tooling costs were not worth it. Hope I am not wrong.

Looks like I can get the 23mm weld in bungs and 23mm jam nuts from slow range off road. Can’t find any 21mm bungs or jam nuts. Looks like 1.25x0.25 DOM is the way to go.

Front range off-road has not been very responsive. They ask to send an email but have not gotten a single response. They don’t pick up the phone.
If I recall, I was in the middle of the build and it did take a while to get them. Fortunately, I had plenty of other stuff to keep me busy at the time. I’m really happy with them and at the time it seemed a reasonable price.

I had a heck of a time finding anything 21mm related. I ended up buying a tap off fleabay or somewhere. I had to cut down a toyota rod and rethread. But for how little stuff there is for 21mm I was seriously thinking of jumping to 23mm ends and reaming the truck side. Glad I didn't so I can still run 40 ends.

I am using a combination of 60 series and 70 series tie-rods. Hence the 21mm and 23 mm threads.
Why not to use rest of 70-series parts too? Direct fit, just bolt on.

Rod alone is $400 each. Need 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom