Custom Roof Rack- Underdawg Roof Rack Product Review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NickPsy

SILVER Star
Threads
Concept

My 80 is slowly moving toward becoming a dedicated weekend all around utility vehicle. Several time a year I'll take it quail hunting in Mexico as well as frequent trips to the mountains, beach and to Home Depot. Most of my driving is on the street and off road adventures are mainly in Mexico on dirt roads and though some unpaved terrain in search of quail. Since I like to have a second spare with me I did not want a basket style roof rack as its tough to toss a heavy wheel/tire up top and when I have 4 people in the truck and my dog, I need the additional storage of a roof rack for bulky items like tables and chairs. No RTT in my plans so I didn't need something really big. I also wanted a rack that I could handle myself as my "daily" rack will be load bars for my surfboard and the occasional stuff that needs to go on top.

I called Jason and had a few conversations about what would suit my needs. We settled on a 54" long rack, with 2 mounting plates per side to fit Gamiviti 30/60 mounts and a low rail around the front that I thought would be nice for additional support. Jason was very responsive and helpful for the start and I was happy that he was starting his new venture to provide items like roof racks to the MUD community. I will always support someone like Jason when the option exists.

The Build

All I can say is that Jason's communications were frequent and his enthusiasm is great. If he had a question, he'd send me a text. As he progressed, he's send a photo. I think he was more excited about the rack than me! When the rack came back from the powder coater Jason let me know it would soon be on the way.

When the rack arrived I found it wrapped in plastic shrink wrap and cardboard which protected the rack extremely well. It took me 10 minutes to free it from its packaging. Kudos to Jason for his excellent care on the packaging.

The Install

This took me a few hours and I did it without a helper. All in all it was simple, with my biggest concern being the accuracy of the holes I needed to drill in the mounting plates. I mounted the Gami 30/60's on the truck and positioned the rack in place, tape measure in hand to measure and remeasure. Once satisfied with the position, I snuck a short Sharpie through the holes in the risers and marked the mounting plates.

Drilling the 8 1/2 inch holes was easy, it just took some time, but it was no big deal. From there I attached it using 3/8" stainless steel hardware and then stood back to admire my work and the rack on my truck.

The Result

I am very happy with the rack Jason built for me; it looks professionally made, its rock solid and will last a lifetime. Equally important was the customer service I received from Jason. He was responsive, professional and very communicative. I always like supporting small business ventures and especially when the individual has a passion and commitment to make it a success. If you are considering a rack or anything else Jason is making, don't hesitate, you won't be disappointed.
IMG_2280.JPG IMG_2284.JPG IMG_2285.JPG IMG_2285.JPG

IMG_2282.JPG

Last edited:
Nice long hood in the garage. :)

I like the rack, too.

What year 911 is that? I had a '73 for a couple years and loved the car. Just couldn't get along with most of the porsche crowd, so I got a 40 and am now in the 80 arena.

I just finished up dealing with Jason and agree with his quick communications. I will make sure I post photos and comments into the thread when it arrives. Thank you for posting this and confirming my decision to go with Underdawg.

Looks great Nick!!! See I knew you could do it!!! Looks like it belonged there the whole time right? Great job on the install too. Love the pooch in the back.. thats where mine usually is.
Thanks so much for the opportunity to build this rack for you. The coolest part about doing this is now you know me and I you. And I hope that you feel as though you can call me anytime. Also I know that rack will be on that rig forever.. and thats pretty cool to think about.

Thanks for the outstanding review and send me some pics of the Mexico trip.

Thanks again,
Jason

Chris-

The longhood is a 73 911S. I bought the car in France 9+ years ago from a fellow vintage racer that was also an avid collector. It's quite special; it was restored at Sonauto Motors in Paris in 1988 and received new paint, interior and a factory supplied RS motor along with some other cool RS bits (plastic 85L gas tank, bigger sway bars, 7" rear wheels and more). It only has 95,000 KM on it has has been painstakingly cared for. It's a keeper, and I love it. Actually, the connection I have with the early 911 crowd is what brought me to buy an 80 and to MUD. The LC crowd is just as passionate and nutty about the vehicles and very connected. The simplicity, everlasting design and construction is similar on many levels. Guys build, maintain and use both their LC's and 911's as they were intended so I feel at home; albeit I have a lot to learn here. A big part of the enjoyment of car ownership to me involves a community of like minded folks and the willingness to share information on something I can actually work on.

Jason- See above! You are part of the reason I'm happy I got the Land Cruiser, and the rack is perfect for what I need. It really is rock solid and looks pretty bad ass to boot! Thanks again, and for sure I'll post some pics of my next quail hunt in Mex. And BTW, the sliding rear windows were another reason I got an 80; it's all about the dog!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom