Custom rear bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up a 64fj40 a couple months back. Slowly taking it all apart. Decided to go crazy with a new rear bumper. Using 4x6x3/16" tube steel. Straight across back end with 45 degree angles on side to protect rear fenders. Worried about how to actually maintain stock bracketry for stock bumper to attatch new 100+lb. Bumper. Wondering if I should fab new hardwear instead. Pics to come.
Another thing I've noticed is no one really goes and fabs/replaces stock bumpers. all I see is welded on bumpers to stock ones. Why is this?

The first question is , How are you going to use the truck. Build to suit the need. If your going to use the truck for serious offroading and using the bumper for recovery or towing I would build new mounts and spread the load equally across the frame. If its a daily driver I would cut the weight down to save gas.

Another thing I've noticed is no one really goes and fabs/replaces stock bumpers. all I see is welded on bumpers to stock ones. Why is this?

My guess is the main reason is the rear bumper is incorporated into the framing so it becomes a major chore to replace it. It supports the tub mounts and is riveted into the frame supports. Easier to bolt to weld to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom